Gtech AirRam is one of the leading names in the vacuum machine industry. The company utilizes the latest advances in battery technology and Air lock vacuum technology to create a small and cordless compact vacuum cleaner such as the Gtech AirRam Mk2. Thanks to the latest advances in lithium-ion battery technology, the Gtech AirRam Vacuum cleaner can last longer on a single charge hence allowing one to clean the entire house without needing to worry about recharging. Despite however the remarkable performance of the battery, it can develop problems. These will be discussed down below.
Table of Contents
What Is The Gtech AirRam Battery?
The Gtech AirRam battery is the Lithium-ion battery choice used in Gtech AirRam vacuum cleaners such as the Gtech AirRam Mk2. The battery is a 22V, 3.0Ah Lithium-ion Battery and normally lasts 40 minutes on a single charge. The battery is rechargeable and can be taken out of the vacuum cleaner in order to complete a charging session.
Gtech AirRam Battery Problems
NB: The Gtech AirRam battery is usually sold without any problems or defects and any problems that may arise, including those stated below are usually caused by abusing the battery or wear and tear arising on the battery while in operation.
1. Battery Not Charging
One of the biggest problems that can affect the Gtech AirRam is the inability of the battery to charge, hence one cannot use the Cordless Vacuum Cleaner. Reasons for the battery failing to charge may include;
- Faulty or burnt charger.
- Loose connection on the wall terminal or no power at the power outlet.
- Battery not plugged in correctly into the Gtech AirRam.
Troubleshooting Charging Problem
To address the issue of the battery failing to charge, one can try out the following methods;
- Testing the charger output voltage and current with a multi meter. If the charger is faulty one may need to replace it.
- Using a different device to test whether the wall outlet is producing any power, if not the wall outlet may need to be replaced or the wiring redone.
- Removing the battery from the Gtech AirRam and trying to place it back into the slot, making sure it properly clicks into place and stays flush with the machine.
2. Battery Dies Quickly
Lithium-ion batteries are usually very good at keeping their charge and lasting the entire rated usage hours over long periods of time. If one notices that the Gtech AirRam battery no longer lasts the rated 40 minutes it may be because of;
- Damaged battery cells or degrading battery.
- Storing the battery in the empty state.
- Operating temperature effect.
Troubleshooting Battery Capacity Problem
If one notices that the battery no longer charges, they can do the following to try and solve the problem;
- Replacing the old battery with a newer battery.
- Ensuring the battery charge is kept above 30% when the battery is stored for longer periods of time.
- The battery has an optimum operating temperature, hence ensure it is not used in excessively hot or cold environments. Also ensure the battery is charged in a cool dry place to preserve cell life.
3. Battery Cells Liquid Leakages
The liquid used in the lithium batteries causes irritation and burns, and as such it can be a serious hazard when it leaks, Reasons for the leakages may be;
- Battery damage due to scratching or punctures by sharp objects.
- Improper disposal of the battery leading to cell damage and liquid leaks.
- Storing an old swollen battery that may have been exposed to deep discharging.
Troubleshooting Battery Leaks
In order to ensure the Gtech AirRam batteries do not leak, the following can be done;
- Ensuring the battery is kept away from sharp objects than can puncture it.
- Properly disposing of the battery in a place where it will not degrade and develop leaks.
- Properly disposing of the Gtech AirRam batteries when they become swollen.
4. Battery Fires Or Explosion
Lithium-ion Batteries can be extremely dangerous if not properly handled leading to explosions and fires. Reasons for this may include;
- Throwing the battery into a fire or using combustibles near the battery.
- Shorting the battery accidentally and using metal objects such as paperclips and screws.
- Opening the battery without the help of trained professionals hence leading to faults.
Troubleshooting Battery Explosions
In order to minimize chances of battery accidents the following can be done;
- Ensuring no combustibles are brought near the battery and the battery is never thrown into the fire.
- Ensuring no metal object are brought near the battery terminals that could short the battery.
- Only trained professionals should handle any inspections or repairs of the battery.
5. Battery Overheating
The lithium-ion batteries used in the Gtech AirRam can overheat if not handled properly and this can be caused by;
- Leaving the battery in direct sunlight or humid environments leading to thermal runaways.
- Using the wrong charger to charge the battery, that delivers larger amounts of currents and voltage.
- Overcharging the battery for longer than necessary
Troubleshooting Battery Overheating
In order to ensure the Gtech AirRam Battery does not overheat the following can be done;
- Keeping the battery in a cool dry place, and away from heat sources or moisture.
- Using the appropriate charger with the correct voltage and current.
- Charging the Gtech AirRam battery for the stipulated times only.
How To Avoid Gtech AirRam Battery Problems?
The best way to avoid any problems developing with the Gtech AirRam battery is to regularize with the vacuum cleaner’s operator manual and only using the vacuum cleaner’s battery as stipulated in the manual. It is also advisable not to use the battery in environments where it might be prone to be damaged such as dipping the battery in water.
Can I Replace The Battery On The Gtech AirRam When It Becomes Defective?
Yes, one can easily replace the battery on the Gtech AirRam. The Gtech AirRam battery is in fact compatible with several versions such as the, MK2(AR20), MK2(AR29), MK2 K9 (AR21) and the MK2 K9 (AR30).
How Long Does a Gtech AirRam Battery Last?
The battery is expected to last 40 minutes on a single charge and if this does not occur it may symbolize that something is seriously wrong with the battery and it may need to be replaced.
In conclusion the Gtech AirRam battery is very reliable, light and easy to charge. The battery is rated to last 40mins on a single charge and performs well over the course of its useful life thanks to the lithium-ion battery technology. Problems can however develop with the battery if it is not taken care of properly hence it is wise to do so to extend its life.