The Ferris ISX800 has made a name for itself in the lawn mower market but, it’s sad to note that despite its sophisticated functions it can still succumb to problems in the future. Below is a list of some of the most common Ferris ISX800 problems.
Table of Contents
What is the Ferris ISX800?
Ferris ISX800 is a commercial zero turn mower which is contains the sophisticated Briggs and Stratton Commercial Turf engine. This lawn mower has a fuel tank capacity of 6 gallons and it weighs approximately 1 119lbs.
Ferris ISX800 Problems
NB: the Ferris ISX800 is sold without any malfunctioning parts and the problems listed below are as a result of wear and tear.
1. Cuts grass unevenly
This is one of the most common Ferris ISX800 lawn mower problems which can be caused by a number of problems like:
- Dull blades or worn out blades, and as a result you have to either sharpen the blades or change them completely.
- The deck might be unbalanced and this means you need to level it correctly.
- The blades might be installed using the wrong angle and as a result you have to angle them appropriately.
- The tyres of the mower might not be balanced and as a result you need to put pressure in them so that they can be balanced.
2. Engine will not start
Another Ferris ISX800 problem that will develop over time is that the engine will not start. This might be caused by a number of reasons and below is a list or reasons and solutions to the problem.
- The spark plug might be faulty or completely damaged and as a result there is need to fix or replace the spark plug.
- The lawn mower might not have any fuel and this means you need to refuel it.
- The battery terminals might be corroded, meaning you have to clean or replace them.
- The air filter might be clogged and you need to clean it.
3. Engine runs poorly
If you have been using your Ferris ISX800 for a long period of time chances are high that the engine will start to run poorly. Below are some of the reasons why and also the solutions:
- The spark plug might be damaged or faulty and as a result you can either replace it or repair it.
- The fuel mixture might be too rich and you need to clean the air filter or check the choke adjustments.
If you have been using the Ferris ISX800 for a long period of time, there is a good chance that it will develop excessive vibrations which can be irritating. Here are some of the causes and solutions to the problem.
- The blade mounting bolts might be lose and as a result you need to tighten them.
- The blades might not be angled correctly and as a result you need to adjust them and balance them correctly.
- The mower pulleys, belts and blades might be bent and you need to correct this.
5. Poor brake functionality
Another common Ferris ISX800 problem that will develop overtime is poor brake functionality of the mower. This is mainly caused by:
- The brake might not be adjusted correctly and as a result you need to check your manual so see how you are supposed to adjust the brakes.
- The braking pads might be worn out or damaged and as a result you need to replace them.
6. Hydro-gear problems
The Ferris ISX800 is designed to use a hydro-gear system which helps to reduce wear and tear and improve reliability and efficiency of the lawn mower. However, here are the problems associated with the hydro-gear system as well as solutions.
- Air enters the engine thus, causing a break in system. Therefore, there is need to clean the transmission system and get rid of excess pressure.
7. Difficulty in cutting wet grass
Although the Ferris ISX800 is designed to cut both wet and dry grass this machine tends to face difficulties in cutting wet grass. Here are some of the causes and solutions.
- The blades will not be sharp as a result you need to sharpen them.
- The engine might be running at a normal pace or even faster and as a result you need to lower the engine and cut slowly.
8. Traction problems
The Ferris ISX800 develops traction problems over time and this is mainly because:
- The air filter might be clogged with debris and you should clean it.
- The bearing might be clogged with dirt and you also need to clean it.
9. Trouble turning the wheels
There is nothing as boring as using a lawn mower whose wheels won’t turn. Here are some of the reasons and solutions why the Ferris ISX800 develops wheel turning problems.
- The wheels might not be balanced and as a result you need make sure that they are evenly balanced and there is equal pressure on both wheels.
- Lack of steering oil which helps to lubricate the machine.
10. Excessive consumption of oil
The Ferris ISX800 develops a problem in which oil starts to be consumed excessively by the engine. Here are a few reasons that could result in this.
- The engine might be running too hot and as a result you need to clean the engine fin, blower screen and air filter.
- The crankcase might have too much oil and thus you need to drain it.
How much does a Ferris ISX800 weigh?
The Ferris ISX weighs approximately 1 119lbs. This is because it is a commercial lawn mower. The Ferris ISX800 can work for a long period of time without stopping.
Who is Ferris made by?
Ferris is made by Briggs and Stratton which bought the company in 2004. Ferris lawn mowers are manufactured in New York.
Is Snapper and Ferris the same?
Snapper and Ferris are two different brands of lawn mowers but, they are all under Briggs and Stratton. Therefore, one can easily argue that they are the same but with different names.
The Ferris ISX800 lawn mower has the potential of developing any of the problems listed in the article but, this does not mean it’s a bad brand of lawn mowers. It’s important to note that every lawn mower has its flaws and once you accept that you will truly be satisfied with the features found on the Ferris ISX800.