The Toro 24.5hp engine is very powerful and has so many features that you would never find on traditional tractor engines. However, even the best engines are known to face problems in the future. Below we look at some of the most common Toro 24.5hp engine problems and how you can easily resolve them at home.
Table of Contents
What Is Toro 24.5HP Engine?
The Toro 24.5hp engine also known as the Toro V-Twin engine is an engine that was designed specifically for zero-turn mowers by the company known as Toro. This engine has a self-cleaning air filtration system that helps to clean dirt and debris before they reach the engine. The Toro 24.5hp provides better fuel efficiency since it has a standard dual carburetor.
Toro 24.5HP Engine Problems
NB: Toro 24.5hp engine does not come with any malfunctioning parts and the problems indicated in this article are usually influenced by wear and tear experienced by the engine.
1. Engine Backfires
One of the problems which you may experience with a Toro 24.5hp is that the engine might backfire each time you start the tractor. This problem usually occurs when any of the following factors are present;
- The muffler might be filled with carbon.
- Exhaust ports might be plugged.
- Flywheel key might be sheared.
Troubleshooting Engine Backfires Problem
If your Toro 24.5hp is always backfiring, here are a few ways you can use to try and resolve the issue;
- If muffler is filled with carbon you need to clean it.
- If the exhaust ports are plugged you should clean the ports.
- If flywheel key is seared you need to replace the key.
2. Engine Does Not Start
Another problem which you may face with the Toro 24.5hp engine is that it may fail to start. This problem is usually caused by a number of factors some of which include;
- Lack of fuel in tank.
- Plugged fuel filter.
- Plugged air cleaner.
- Use of contaminated or old fuel.
- Incorrect ignition timing.
- Reed valves might not be closed.
- Faulty or damaged spark plug.
Troubleshooting Engine Does Not Start Problem
If your Toro 24.5hp engine is refusing to start, you can use any of the following techniques to try and troubleshoot the problem.
- Start by checking whether there is enough fuel in your tank and replenish it if low.
- Check the quality of the fuel in your tank, if it is old or contaminated you will need to drain it and replace it with clean fuel.
- If the fuel filter is plugged you need to clean and back flush it. If it is damaged you will have to replace it with a new one.
- If air cleaner is plugged you need to wash and re-oil the air cleaner element.
- Correct the ignition timing.
- If reed valves are damaged you will need to replace them.
- If spark plug is damaged you need to replace it with a new one.
3. Engine Does Not Produce Spark
Another problem which you may experience with the Toro 24.5hp engine is that it might not produce spark. This problem is usually influenced by any of the following scenarios;
- The spark plug wire might be disconnected or damaged.
- The spark plug might be faulty or damaged.
- The ignition coil might have failed.
- The flywheel magnets might have failed.
- The coil kill might be grounded.
Troubleshooting Engine Does Not Produce Spark Problem
If your Toro 24.5hp engine is not producing spark, there are a few ways in which you can try to resolve the problem. Below is a list of techniques that you can try.
- Start by checking the spark plug wire and reconnect it if it is disconnected. If it is damaged you will have to replace it.
- Check the spark plug and replace it if damaged.
- If the ignition coil has failed you should replace the CD pack.
- If flywheel magnets have failed you should replace the flywheel.
- If coil kill wire is grounded you need to locate and eliminate the unwanted ground.
4. Engine Floods With Fuel
The Toro 24.5hp engine sometimes floods with fuel. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- The throttle might be misadjusted.
- Air cleaner might be plugged.
- Spark plug might be damaged.
- Carburetor air vent might be plugged.
- Gas cap vent might be plugged.
Troubleshooting Engine Floods With Fuel Problem
When you notice that your Toro 24.5hp engine has flooded with fuel, here are a few things you can try to do in order to resolve the problem.
- If the throttle is misadjusted you need to adjust the throttle cable.
- If the air cleaner is plugged make sure that you wash and re-oil air cleaner element.
- If the spark plug is damaged you will have to replace it with a new one.
- If the carburetor air vent and gas cap vent are plugged you need to clean them.
How To Avoid Toro 24.5hp Problems
The best way to avoid Toro 24.5hp problems is to regularly service the tractor. This helps to ensure that small problems are identified before they emanate into a bigger problem. You should also maintain your engine by regularly oiling it and also replacing worn out parts.
Is The Toro Engine a Good Engine?
Yes the Toro engine is a good engine. It is very durable and reliable. If you are looking for a good mower to purchase you should definitely opt for those that have Toro engines.
Who Makes The Toro 24.5 Engine?
Toro Company makes the Toro 24.5 engine.
How Often Do You Put Oil In A Toro Lawn Mower?
You should put oil after every 100 hours of use in a Toro lawn mower. This helps to ensure that the engine functions perfectly.
Purchasing a lawn mower that has a 24.5hp engine is not a bad idea. While, this engine might seem problematic, it actually has sophisticated features that you would never find in other lawn mower engines. So if you are thinking of purchasing a lawn mower that is powered by the Toro 24.5hp you should definitely go for it, you will be getting value for your money.