The tractor market belongs to a select few of effective and reliable manufacturers. Massey Ferguson is one of those manufacturers, they are known for making tractors that appeal to farmers and operators needs. With that being said, here are the problems of one of the well known tractors from the brand; the Massey Ferguson 6713.
Table of Contents
What Is The Massey Ferguson 6713?
The Massey Ferguson 6713 is a tractor designed for use in agriculture, construction, and other heavy-duty applications. The Massey Ferguson 6713 is powered by a 4.4-liter, four-cylinder engine which provides up to 130 horsepower and 540 RPM PTO. This tractor also features a hydraulic system with a maximum flow rate of 11.6 GPM, as well as a spacious and comfortable cab with air conditioning and heating.
Massey Ferguson 6713 Problems
1. Overheating Issues
Overheating can cause serious damge to the tractor whilst causing the engine to produce a low power output. Overheating can be caused by;
- Low coolant levels
- A faulty thermostat
- A clogged radiator
- A damaged water pump
Troubleshooting Overheating Issues
- Check the coolant level. If the level is low, add more coolant and check for leaks. If there are no leaks and the coolant level is still low there may be a problem with the radiator cap or the water pump.
- Check the thermostat because a faulty thermostat can cause the engine to overheat, and it should be replaced if necessary.
- Finally if the thermostat and coolant levels are fine, the radiator may be clogged or damaged. In this case the radiator should be cleaned or replaced to prevent further overheating.
2. Engine Problems
Another common problem that Massey Ferguson 6713 owners face is engine problems. The engine is the central power generator of the tractor and any issues with it can cause a production hault and costly repairs. Some common engine problems are;
- Low oil pressure
- Excessive smoking
- Poor performance
Troubleshooting Engine Problems
If you notice low oil pressure, it’s important to address the issue quickly to prevent damage to the engine.
- If the oil filter is clogged then it should be replaced. If the oil pump is damaged then it should be repaired or replaced. If the oil level is low you should add more oil and check for leaks.
- If the excessive smoking is black then it may be caused by a clogged air filter. However if the smoke is blue thenit may be caused by worn piston rings or damaged valves. In either case the issue should be addressed quickly to prevent any damage to the engine.
- If the fuel filter is dirty then it should be replaced. The fuel injectors may also be clogged in which case they should be cleaned or replaced.
3. Hydraulic System Problems
The hydraulic system on the Massey Ferguson 6713 is responsible for powering the many attachments and implements that the tractor can uses. Some of the most common hydraulic system problems are;
- Poor performance
- Noisy operation
Troubleshooting Hydraulic System Problems
- Check to see if any of the hoses are damaged in which case they should be replaced. If any of the fittings are loose they should be tightened.
- The hydraulic pump may be faulty and it should be repaired or replaced immediately.
- If the fluid level is low you need to add more fluid and check for leaks. If the fluid is contaminated then it should be drained and replaced.
- If there is air in the system be sure to bleed the system to remove the air. If the components are worn or damaged then they should be replaced.
4. Electrical System Problems
The electrical system is responsible for powering electrical components like the lights, radio, and other elwctrical accessories. Some common electrical system problems are;
- A dead batteries
- Faulty alternators
- Blown fuses
Troubleshooting Electrical System Problems
- If the alternator is faulty then it should be replaced. If any of the connections are loose then they should be tightened.
- Check to see that the battery isn’t drained otherwise it should be recharged or replaced.
- A faulty alternator can cause the battery to fail and can also cause other electrical components to malfunction. If the alternator is faulty it should be replaced.
5. Transmission Problems
The transmission is responsible for transferring power from the engine to the wheels. Some common transmission problems are;
- Slipping gears
- Low fluid levels
- Noisy operation
Troubleshooting Transmission Problems
If your tractor is slipping gears then it’s important to address the issue quickly to prevent further damage to the transmission.
- If the transmission fluid level is low then add more fluid and check for leaks.
- If the clutch plates are worn then they should be replaced. Also check that the torque converter isn’t faulty then it should be repaired or replaced.
- Low fluid levels can cause the transmission to overheat and can also cause damage to other components.
- If the bearings are worn then they should be replaced. If the gears are damaged they should be repaired or replaced.
How To Prevent Problems With The Massey Ferguson 6713
- Change the oil and oil filter regularly.
- Check the air filter regularly and replace it when necessary.
- Check the coolant level regularly and add more as needed.
- Check the hydraulic fluid level regularly and add more as needed.
- Inspect the hoses and belts regularly and replace them when necessary.
- Grease the fittings regularly to prevent wear and tear.
- Keep the tractor clean and free of debris to prevent damage to the components.
What Is The Maximum Towing Capacity Of The Massey Ferguson 6713?
The Massey Ferguson 6713 has a maximum towing capacity of 10,000 pounds.
What Is The Warranty On The Massey Ferguson 6713?
The warranty on the Massey Ferguson 6713 varies depending on the dealer and location. You should contact your local Massey Ferguson dealer for more information.
The Massey Ferguson 6713 is a reliable and efficient tractor but it is not invulnerable to problems. From overheating to transmission issues these are only a few common problems that can arise and cause frustration for farmers and operators of the tractor. However, by following the troubleshooting methods in this article, you can quickly troubleshoot and fix these problems and keep your Massey Ferguson 6713 running smoothly all year long.