Massey Ferguson tractors have definitely made a name for themselves in the tractor business. If you are looking to purchase any Massey Ferguson tractor you obviously need to know everything about it including some of the problems it may face in the future. This particular article focuses on the Massey Ferguson 231 tractor.
Table of Contents
What Is Massey Ferguson 231?
Massey Ferguson 231 is a 2WD utility tractor that comes with a 2.5L three cylinder diesel engine and sliding gear. This tractor as a power assist steering, drum brakes and two-post folding ROPS. The engine of a Massey Ferguson 231 tractor produces about 38.0hp at 2000 rpm of output power.
Massey Ferguson 231 Problems
NB: Massey Ferguson 231 tractors are sold without any malfunctioning parts and the problems indicated in this article are usually influenced by wear and tear of the tractor or by human error.
1. Engine Starts But Does Not Run Smoothly
One of the problems which you may experience with a Massey Ferguson 231 tractor is that the engine may start but fail to run smoothly. This problem usually occurs when any of the following things occur;
- There might be no fuel in your tractor.
- Fuel injection nozzles may be damaged.
- Fuel line may be blocked.
Troubleshooting Engine Starts But Does Not Run Smoothly Problem
If you notice that the engine of your Massey Ferguson 231 is starting, but not running smoothly you need to try any of the following techniques in order to resolve the problem;
- Check whether there is enough fuel in your tank and replenish it if low.
- Check whether fuel injection nozzles are in perfect condition and replace if they are damaged.
- Check if fuel line is not blocked and try to clean it.
2. Diesel May Not Crank
When using a Massey Ferguson 231. There is a chance that the diesel may refuse to crank. This problem usually occurs when;
- Fuel filter is clogged.
- When there is incorrect fuel injection pump timing.
Troubleshooting Diesel Does Not Crank Problem
If you notice that the diesel is not cranking you should try to;
- Clean the fuel filter and replace the element if it is damaged.
- Adjust the fuel injection pump timing.
3. Engine Does Not Start
Another problem which you may experience with the Massey Ferguson 231 is that the engine may refuse to start. This usually occurs when any of the following things happen;
- Your tractor may not have enough fuel.
- The fuel filter may be plugged.
- Your fuel injection nozzles may be defective.
- The fuel lines may be clogged.
Troubleshooting Engine Does Not Start Problem
If you notice that the engine of your Massey Ferguson 231 is not starting here are a few ways in which you may try to resolve the issue. Below are some of the troubleshooting techniques that you can try out;
- Check whether your tractor as enough fuel and replenish it if low.
- If the fuel filter is plugged you should either clean or replace it.
- If the fuel injection nozzle is defective or damaged, you will need to replace it.
- Clean or was fuel lines that may be clogged.
4. Transmission Shift Issues
You may also experience transmission shift issues with your Massey Ferguson 231 tractor. Tis problem usually occurs when any of the following things happen;
- There might not be enough transmission fluid in your tractor.
- Your tractor might not be properly lubricated.
Troubleshooting Transmission shift Issues
When you notice that your Massey Ferguson 231 is experiencing transmission shift issues, there are a few tins you can do in order to try and resolve the issue. Below are some techniques you may resort to;
- Check if there is enough transmission fluid in your tractor and replenish it if low.
- You should lubricate your tractor.
5. Steering Problems
When you have a Massey Ferguson 231 you may experience steering problems. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- Tires may not have enough pressure
- There might be too much air in your hydraulic system.
- Check oil levels in your tank.
- Steering cylinder may be defective.
Troubleshooting Steering Problems
If you are experience steering problems with your Massey Ferguson 231, here are a few ways in which you may try to troubleshoot the problem;
- Check tire pressure and add more pressure if your tires are deflated.
- If there is too much air in your hydraulic system, you need to release it.
- Check oil levels and replenish if low.
- If steering cylinder is damaged you need to replace it with a new one.
6. Hydraulic Issues
If you own a Massey Ferguson 231 you may experience hydraulic issues. This problem is usually caused by any of the following;
- Engine may have overheated.
- Filters in the hydraulic system may be clogged.
- Fuel filter may be clogged.
Troubleshooting Hydraulic Issues
When you notice that your hydraulic system is experiencing problems, here are a few ways in which you may try to resolve the issue;
- If your engine is overheating you should take precautionary measures to address the problem.
- Check fuel filter and other filters in the hydraulic system and try to clean or replace them.
How To Avoid Massey Ferguson 231 Problems
If you want to avoid Massey Ferguson 231 problems you should maintain and service your tractor regularly. This helps to ensure that problems are identified earlier before they turn into something bigger.
Is Massey Ferguson A Reliable Tractor?
Yes, Massey Ferguson is a reliable tractor. You will actually find different models of Massey Ferguson tractors on the market and most of them are very durable and they contain good engines.
What Engine Is In Massey Ferguson 231?
The 3 cylinder Perkins engine can be found in the Massey Ferguson 231 tractor.
Every tractor has its problems and the Massey Ferguson 231 is certainly not an exception. However, it is important to note that most of the problems you will come across can easily be resolved using the troubleshooting guide above. Remember to always service your tractor so that it may last you a lifetime.