One of the most reliable and well-known names in the tractor manufacturing industry is Kubota. This is majorly thanks to their wonderful offerings such as the Kubota L3200. The tractor is very powerful and comes with options between the 2-wheel drive gear and 4-wheel hydro hence giving the farmer a wider choice variety to suit their exact needs. Despite the robust design of the Kubota L3200 it is however not full proof and can develop problems that will be discussed down below.
Table of Contents
What Is The Kubota L3200?
The Kubota L3200 is a wonderful tractor option manufactured between 2011 to 2014 by the manufacturer Kubota. The tractor uses a 1.5L 3-cyl diesel engine and offers up to 30.4 hp engine net power. The tractor uses either the gear shift transmission with dry disc clutch, 8 forward and 4 reverse gears or the hydrostatic transmission with infinite(3-range) forward and reverse. Thanks to the robust build of the tractor, it can be used to complete several jobs on the farm. The tractor can run and tackle a lot of demanding jobs without any problems.
Kubota L3200 Problems
NB: The Kubota L3200 tractor is usually sold without any problems or defects, and any problems that may arise, including those highlighted in this article are usually caused by wear and tear developing on the machine while in use.
1. Engine Does Not Start
There are several reasons that may cause the Kubota L3200 engine not to start and these include
- Lack of fuel due to clogged fuel pipes and filters or fuel leaks due to a loose injection pipe retaining nut.
- Worn cylinder and piston ring or improper valve timing.
- Seizure of crankshaft, camshaft, piston, cylinder or bearing.
Troubleshooting Engine Problems
Without the engine, the Kubota L3200 tractor can’t do any useful work hence in order to check that all is functioning as intended, the following can be done;
- Cleaning or changing clogged fuel pipes and filters. It is also wise to tighten the retaining nut in order to ensure no fuel leakages occur.
- Replacing worn out parts such as the piston ring and also correcting or replacing the timing gear when it becomes defective.
- Replacing defective components in the engine block such as the crankshaft, piston and bearings.
2. Starter Not Running
The starter is a very crucial components of the engine since it is responsible for starting the engine and without it, the engine cannot start. Reasons for this problem may include;
- Defective or discharged battery.
- Main starter switch malfunction.
- Defective or improperly adjusted safety switch and also faulty wiring in the tractor circuitry.
Troubleshooting Faulty Starter Unit
In order to solve problems with the starter and ensure the engine starts as required, the following can be done;
- Charging the battery and then attempting to start the tractor, if the battery fails to hold its charge, then it might be defective and needs replacing.
- Testing and repairing or replacing the main starter switch if it is defective.
- Adjusting or replacing the safety switch and also replacing any wiring that is burnt or faulty in any way. Rewiring may also be recommended to address issues with the wiring.
3. Engine Overheating
The engine requires optimum temperatures in order to function properly and produce sufficient power and as such engine overheating is a huge problem. Reasons for engine overheating can include;
- Insufficient engine oil or insufficient coolant.
- Elongated or broken fan belt.
- Defective radiator cap and head gasket.
Troubleshooting Engine Overheating
- Refilling the engine oil and coolant.
- Adjusting or replacing the fan belt when defective or broken.
- Replacing the radiator cap and head gasket when it becomes defective in any way.
4. Clutch Problems
The clutch is one of the most important components in the Kubota L3200 tractor as it allows one to change gears without needing to stop the engine. Problems with the clutch system can be caused by one of the following issues;
- Slipping clutch due to excessive wear on the clutch disc or a warped clutch disc or pressure plate.
- Rattling when the tractor is running due to the clutch disc boss spline being worn.
- Squeaking clutch due to a sticking or dry thrust ball bearing.
Troubleshooting Tractor Clutch Problems
In order to solve problems with the clutch one can do the following;
- Replacing the faulty disc or pressure plate.
- Inspecting the clutch disc boss spline and replacing it, if it becomes worn.
- Replacing the problematic thrust ball bearing.
5. Transmission Problems
The transmission is used in the Kubota L3200 tractor to change gears and as such it is a very critical component of the tractor. Problems that can plague the transmission may include;
- Excessive transmission noise due to worn gears, improper gear backlash and worn-out bearings.
- Gears slipping out of mesh due to rusted shift linkages.
- Clashing gears when shifting due to wear or a clutch that does not release.
Troubleshooting Transmission Problems
When one notices problems related to the transmission the following can be done to address them;
- Replacing worn out gears and bearings.
- Inspecting the shift linkages and replacing them when found to be broken.
- Adjusting the clutch to ensure it can release and replacing it when it has exceeded its useful life.
How To Avoid Kubota L3200 Problems?
The best way to avoid any problems developing with the Kubota L3200 is to use the tractor’s operator manual for maintenance purposes, and only using the tractor as stated in the manual. It is also advisable not to use the tractor in environments where it may be prone to failure or developing problems.
What Are The Most Common Problems With Kubota Tractor?
The most common problem is the engine overheating thanks to debris or dust particles from the radiator’s fins and particles in the radiator blocking airflow used to cool the engine. A compressor can however be used to blow out the dirt on the radiator fins.
How many hours will a Kubota tractor last?
When well maintained the tractor should last 4500-5500 gauged hours. This is a rough estimate and it is wise to consider that most users only do 100 to 200 hours of use per year. This means it can last several years in operation. It is also possible to exceed 10,000 hours if proper care and maintenance are given.
In conclusion the Kubota L3200 is a wonderful tractor option and it is very reliable and robust enough to meet the needs of most farmers working on the land. The tractor is very powerful and capable thanks to the powerful diesel engine. The tractor is however not immune to problems, and especially if used outside the recommended operational conditions. Regular maintenance is highly recommended to ensure the tractor performs as intended.