The Massey Ferguson 265 tractor has definitely stood the test of time however, every tractor has its own problems including the Massey Ferguson 265. In this article we are going to be discussing some of the most common problems that are experienced by this tractor and how you may easily troubleshoot them at home.
Table of Contents
What Is Massey Ferguson 265?
Massey Ferguson 265 is a row crop tractor that has a 3.9 liter, four cylinder Perkins diesel engine. This tractor also has a power steering, two wheel drive chassis, a mechanical rear differential and differential mechanical dry disc brakes. The Massey Ferguson 265 is very durable and reliable.
Massey Ferguson 265 Problems
NB: Massey Ferguson 265 tractors are sold without any malfunctioning parts and the problems indicated below are usually influenced by wear and tear experienced by the tractor.
1. Engine Does Not Crank
One of the problems experienced by a Massey Ferguson 265 is that the engine may not crank. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- You might have placed the wrong fuel type in your tractor.
- Your fuel pump may be defective.
- Fuel pump timing might be incorrect.
Troubleshooting Engine Does Not Crank Problem
If you notice that the engine of your Massey Ferguson 265 is not cranking, here are a few ways in which you may try to resolve the problem;
- If you had placed the wrong fuel in your tractor you need to drain it and replace it with the correct fuel.
- If the fuel pump is defective you need to replace it with a new one.
- If the fuel pump timing is incorrect you need to set it up.
2. Difficulty In Shifting Transmission
Another problem which you may experience with the Massey Ferguson 265 is that the transmission can become hard to shift. This problem is usually caused by;
- A worn out, damaged or improperly assembled synchronizer.
Troubleshooting Difficulty In Shifting Transmission
If you find it hard to shift the transmission of your Massey Ferguson 265, the best thing you should do is;
- You should replace the synchronizer if it is worn out or damaged. If it is improperly assembled you can reassemble it.
3. Engine Does Not Start
Massey Ferguson 265 tractors may refuse to start and this can be frustrating to many users. This problem usually occurs when any of the following scenarios are present;
- Your fuel line might be clogged.
- The fuel filter element may be dirty.
- Piston rings might be defective.
- The starter may be damaged.
Troubleshooting Engine Does Not Start Problem
When the engine of your Massey Ferguson 265 refuses to start, here are a few ways in which you may try to resolve the problem;
- Check fuel line to ensure that it is not clogged. If it is clogged you will have to wash and clean it.
- If the fuel filter element is dirty, you need to replace it.
- If piston rings are damaged you can either repair them or replace them.
- If the starter is damaged you can try repairing it or you can just replace it with a new one.
4. Steering Problems
When you have a Massey Ferguson 265, you may experience steering problems. These problems are usually caused by any of the following;
- Power steering pump may be defective.
- There might be airlock in steering system.
- Tire pressure might be uneven.
- There might be a breakage in the hydraulic hoses.
Troubleshooting Steering Problems
When your Massey Ferguson 265 tractor experiences steering problems you can adopt the following techniques in order to try and resolve the problem.
- If the power steering pump is defective you need to replace it with a new one.
- If there is an airlock in your steering wheel you should remove it.
- Adjust tire pressure if it is uneven.
- Check whether there is a breakage in the hydraulic hoses and then try to fix it.
5. Engine Overheats
The engine of a Massey Ferguson 265 tractor may overheat. This problem usually occurs when any of the following things happen;
- There might be no engine coolant in your tractor.
- Flywheel fins may be broken or damaged.
- Fan belt might be slipping.
- The motor might be overloaded.
Troubleshooting Engine Overheats Problem
If the engine of your Massey Ferguson 265 overheats, there are a few things you may try in order to troubleshoot the problem;
- Check engine coolant levels and replenish it if low.
- Replace the flywheel fins with new ones if they are damaged.
- If fan belt is slipping you need to adjust it.
- If the motor is overloaded you need to reduce the motor load.
6. Tractor Smokes Excessively
The Massey Ferguson 265 tractor may start smoking excessively. This problem usually occurs when any of the following things happen;
- Piston rings might be worn out or damaged.
- There might be too much engine oil in your tractor.
Troubleshooting Tractor Smokes Excessively Problem
When you notice that your tractor is smoking excessively, here are a few things you can do in order to resolve the problem;
- Check piston rings to ensure they are in good condition. If they are worn out or damaged you need to replace them.
- Check engine oil levels and if there is too much oil you need to drain it until it reaches the specified levels.
What Years Were Massey Ferguson 265 Made?
The Massey Ferguson 265 was made from 1975 up to 1983. This goes to show just how strong these tractors are since they are still available in this era.
Is Massey Ferguson A Reliable Tractor?
Yes, Massey Ferguson is a reliable tractor. It is also very durable. If you are thinking of purchasing a tractor we would highly recommend this brand of tractors.
The Massey Ferguson 265 is a good tractor to purchase and while it may face problems it’s important to remember that most of these problems can be fixed. So if you are thinking of purchasing this tractor, don’t let this article derail you from doing so, you will actually be getting value for your money.