The Massey Ferguson 4708 is a catch for anyone looking for a wide range utility tractor. It is capable of sowing, hauling, tilling and harvesting. Massey Ferguson made this one with safety and efficiency in mind. It is powered by a 4-cylinder engine which can cough up to 75 horse power. It is a four-wheel drive; this gives it easy of maneuverability and increased traction.
Table of Contents
What Is The Massey Ferguson 4708 ?
It is a mid-range tractor manufactured by the renowned Massey Ferguson company. It has a 4.4 litre diesel engine rated with a horse power of sixty-eight. It has a maximum speed of about thirty miles per hour. It has a 3-point hitch lift capacity of 3,175 lbs. (approx. one and a half tons).
Massey Ferguson 4708 Problems
The Massey Ferguson 4708 is produced without any defects and is made to last. However, like any other machine it is not immune to wear and tear and other faults caused by human error. Such faults are highlighted below in this article.
1. Electric System Issues
The Massey Ferguson 4708 tractor may encounter problems with its electric components such as head lights not turning on and the starter not working. Below are the most likely causes of those faults.
- Faulty fuses-faulty fuses can stop electric power from reaching some components thus disrupting the proper function of the vehicle.
- Corroded battery terminal-As time goes, battery terminals get corroded preventing current from flowing from the cell to the rest of machine.
- Dead battery-Batteries have a life span and at some point it will no longer be able to supply the required amount of power.
Troubleshooting Electrical System Issues
If the Massey Ferguson 4708 is encountering any electric problems the following steps may solve the problem.
- Check and replace any damaged fuses.
- Clean corroded battery terminals with baking soda or any other alkaline solution.
- Buy a new battery if the one in use is dead.
2. Engine Overheating
As the Massey Ferguson 4708 ages it tends to start overheating. Overheating can cause damage to other components of the tractor and thus it needs immediate attention. The most common causes are;
- Poor performance of the engine cooling system.
- Low engine oil level.
- Damaged radiator.
Troubleshooting Engine Overheats Problem
When the engine of your Massey Ferguson 4708 overheats, here is what can be done in an effort to resolve the issue.
- Check the cooling system and all related components for any blockages or damage.
- Check the oil level and replenish if necessary.
- Check for damage on radiator, if any repair or replace.
3. Poor Engine Power
The Massey Ferguson 4708 can have some of its internal components damaged causing low power output. Below are the some of the reasons for low power output.
- Clogged air filter.
- Malfunction engine pump.
- Worn-out or damaged spark plugs or engine timing is off.
Troubleshooting Poor Engine Power
If your tractor no longer has the same power you are used to, this list may help you bring it back to its peak performance.
- Checking and cleaning the air filter if dirty.
- Testing and replacing the engine pump if need be.
- Testing and replacing damaged spark plugs and getting the Massey Ferguson 4708 tractor looked at by a professional mechanic.
4. Over Smoking
When a tractor over smokes it shows reduced fuel efficiency or contaminated fuel. The Massey Ferguson 4708 is prone to such defects as it ages. Below are some of the causes of over smoking
- Damaged fuel filter – it starts letting through fuel contaminates.
- Damaged air filter – it starts letting little oxygen that is not sufficient for complete combustion.
- Worn out rings or valves- They disrupt the normal operation of the engine.
Troubleshooting Over Smoking
If you notice that the Massey Ferguson 4708 engine is over smoking, here are a few ways to try and solve the problems.
- Checking and replacing the fuel filter if need be.
- Checking and replacing the air filter if need be.
- Checking and replacing the valves and rings if need be.
5. Engine Leaks
Another common problem encountered in a Massey Ferguson 4708 is leaking in the engine. It may leak oil, fuel or even brake fluid. The leaking is usually caused by one of the following.
- Damaged or loosely connected oil horse.
- Damaged fuel pump.
- Corroded fuel tank.
Troubleshooting Engine Leaks
If you are encountering engine leaks in your Massey Ferguson 4708, a few possible solutions for the problem are below.
- Strengthen the horse connection or replace it if need be.
- Repair or replace the fuel pump depending on level of damage.
- Get it brazed or replace it all together.
How To Avoid Massey Ferguson 4708 Problems?
Regular servicing of the tractor is the most important thing when one intends on avoiding problems. It is best to get it done by a registered organisation. All replacements must be done with genuine Massey Ferguson parts and they must be compatible. Keeping the oil level at the appropriate level will keep the Massey Ferguson 4708 well lubricated thus avoiding wear. The tractors’ operator must be trained and qualified in the use of tractors. The tractor should also be kept clean.
How Many Hp Is a MF 4708 Tractor?
The MF 4708 tractor is rated 68 H.P. It has uses a 3 cylinder, 4.4 litre Diesel engine that is liquid cooled. It comes with either 2-wheel drive or 4-wheel drive for extra traction. It has a 3-point hitch lift capacity of 3,175 lbs. (approx. one and a half tons). This tractor is capable of handling heavy loads and is ideal for small farms and hobby farms.
Is MF a Good Tractor?
The Massey Ferguson is a great tractor. It is in the top 5 tractor brands worldwide. It’s tractors are known for their sturdy frame and powerful engine with extremely impressive performance. They have controls that are very easy to use. The tractor shouldn’t present any trouble when maneuvering around.
With all the problems listed here, one may get the impression that the Massey Ferguson is a defective product however that would be inaccurate. The Massey Ferguson 4708 is a dependable tractor. The problems listed here are one of the very rare cases in which the tractor runs into a problem. If well maintained one may never encounter even a single problem and if the problems do occur, they are often easy to solve.