Let us take some time to discuss zero-turn mowers. We are looking at the Big Dog Mowers. It is one of the ranges of heavy-duty models out there. Let us delve into some of the common Big Dog Mower problems.
Table of Contents
What Is The Big Dog Mower?
The Big Dog Mower is any of the different types of zero-turn mowers. A Big Dog Mower is used mainly for residential and commercial mowing applications. There are several upsides of choosing the Big Dog Mower. For instance, it has the best warranty. When it comes to zero-turn mowers, the Big Dog Mower has no match. However, there are Big Dog Mower problems you must know.
Big Dog Mower Problems
The Big Dog Mower is built to deliver power during operation. For the most part you should not experience any problems. Especially if you got your Big Dog Mower brand new and you use it properly. Regardless, there are common Big Dog Mower problems that may occur as follows:
1. Belt Problems
When using a Big Dog Mower belt problems tend to be common. The belts can either come off or get damaged sometimes. It is usually the mower belt and or the drive belt. This can even happen when the Big Dog Mower is still relevantly new. The causes could be:
- There could be abrasion of the belts during operation.
- The belts may not be properly in place; they could be too tight or loose.
- The belts could be worn out.
Troubleshooting Belt Problems
When belts are frequently coming off or getting damaged, you have to check the associated components or mechanisms. You will be able to notice where the issue is stemming from. The solutions you can use are:
- Ensure the belts are not in friction when in operation.
- Adjust the belts to fit properly where necessary.
- Replace damaged belts.
2. Engine Difficulties In Starting
When using the Big Dog Mower engine not starting is a common problem. The engine may fail to start or may start vigorously. In some cases it can start and immediately stop running. This can be caused by:
- There may be no fuel, there may be wrong fuel inside, or it may be contaminated.
- Fuel line may be clogged or leaking.
- Fuel filter may be dirty or leaking.
- Choke could be off.
Troubleshooting Engine Difficulties In Starting Problem
When your Big Dog Mower is not starting, you must make checks on the fuel system and associated components. The solutions you can try out are:
- Ensure the fuel is correct and adequate.
- Fix, clean, or replace the fuel line.
- Fix, clean, plug, or replace fuel filter.
- Turn the choke on.
3. Power Inconsistencies When In Operation
When operating the Big Dog Mower power output may be inconsistent. There can be times where there is loss of power. There can also be inadequate power thus limiting operational efficiency. The possible causes are:
- Air cleaner could be restricted.
- Traction drive could be malfunctioning.
- Steering linkage could be faulty.
- The tow valve could be open.
Troubleshooting Power Inconsistencies When In Operation Problem
When this problem occurs you can personally make checks to determine the cause of the problem. However, if you are unsure it will be best to engage professional service agents or technicians. Solutions you can explore though are:
- Get the air cleaner serviced.
- Replace the traction drive.
- Ensure the tow valve is closed.
- Adjust the steering linkage correctly.
4. Starting Motor Failing To Crank
The Big Dog Mower may encounter challenges with cranking. There are several reports of Big Dog Mower users where the starting motor fails to crank. This problem may be caused by:
- Steering control levers may not be in park mode.
- Battery may be faulty, worn out, or flat.
- Wiring may be loose, damaged, or worn out.
- Fuse could be blown.
Troubleshooting Starter Motor Failing To Crank Problem
When a Big Dog Mower’s starter motor fails to crank you have to do some diagnostic checks. Since the probable causes can be varied you need to be comprehensive. You can explore the following solutions:
- Put steering control levers in park.
- Fix, recharge, or replace battery.
- Fix or replace electrical wiring where needed.
- Replace the fuse.
5. Mower Cuts Unevenly
It may happen when using the Big Dog Mower that it will be cutting unevenly. This will result in a half-baked job which may necessitate more effort. This is a common Big Dog Mower problem. Possible causes are:
- Cutting blades may be blunt.
- Deck may not be level.
- Tyres may not be properly and consistently inflated.
- Other associated components may be out of alignment.
Troubleshooting Mower Cuts Unevenly Problem
It is not uncommon to experience this problem. You can easily detect and rectify the issue though. Here is what you can do to address the problem:
- Ensure the cutting blades are sharp.
- Ensure the deck is level.
- Ensure the tyres are inflated rightly.
- Readjust components that be out of alignment e.g. blades or anti-scalp wheel.
How To Avoid Big Dog Mower Problems
Use the Big Dog Mower as outlined in the user manual. Inspect it before and after every use. Clean the mower after every use. Get the Big Dog Mower serviced regularly. If you build a routine out these you can avoid Big Dog Mower problems.
Why Should I Use A Big Dog Mower?
The Big Dog Mower is a zero turn mower. This makes it easy to precisely manoeuvre it. This enables cutting precisely and more efficiently. The Big Dog Mower is also fast.
How Can I Get Rid Of Vigorous Vibrations In My Big Dog Mower?
Unusual or vigorous vibrations are typically caused by loose connections or components. Thus you should check and tighten any loose bolts, pulleys, blades, and bearing, amongst others.
Purchasing Big Dog Mower is a good investment. They may have their share of common problems but that does not take away from their robustness. If you are more responsible in using your Big Dog Mower, problems will be limited to none.