The Briggs and Stratton name is almost synonymous with generator engines and the Briggs and Stratton Q6500 leaves up to the parent company’s name, however it is not uncommon for this generator to run into problems as it’s a popular choice for many homeowners. In this article we’ll be taking a look at the most common issues with a Briggs and Stratton Q6500. And by the end of this article you will have a better understanding of what might be causing any problems with your Briggs and Stratton Q6500 generator allowing you to get it running like new again in no time.
Table of Contents
What Is The Briggs And Stratton Q6500?
The Briggs and Stratton Q6500 is a powerful but compact and reliable invertor generator that has become popular among homeowners and businesses. It’s great for emergency power outages and outdoor activities like camping due to its unique and rugged design. The Briggs and Stratton Q6500 is said to be 60% quieter than most generators and can deliver an impressive 6 500 watts of starting power. On a full tank, the engine can offer up to 14 hours of uninterrupted runtime. The inverter generator also comes with a 2 month warranty.
Briggs And Stratton Q6500 Problems
1. Poor Performance Issues
When it comes to common issues with the Briggs and Stratton Q6500 poor performance ranks near the top. And this is the result of;
- Bad or insufficient fuel
- A worn out or clogged spark plug
- The wrong carburetor settings
Troubleshooting Poor Performance Issues
- Check that you have fresh fuel and a proper fuel-to-oil ratio.
- The next step is to check the spark plug; if it’s clogged or worn out and then replace it with a new one.
- If your generator still isn’t running properly it may be time to adjust your carburetor settings which can be done with a screwdriver and a basic understanding of how your generator works (you can refer to your Briggs and Stratton Q6500’s owner’s manual here.)
- Your generator has two batteries: one for starting and one for powering all other systems. If either one isn’t working properly this could explain why your generator isn’t working so check both battery supplies for low voltage and make sure everything’s connected securely.
2. Not Starting Problem
If your Briggs and Stratton Q6500 isn’t starting properly then you’ll want to take a look at the most common problems that cause this and they include;
- A clogged furl line
- A low or dead battery
- A damaged spark plug
Troubleshooting The Not Starting Problem
- First make sure that the fuel line from the tank to the carburetor is intact and not blocked or clogged.
- Check for other blockages in the fuel filter If the fuel line is damaged and replace it. Also make sure that there is enough fresh gasoline in the tank for proper operation of the engine.
- Low battery charge can cause this issue as well. Replacing a dead battery or recharging it may solve the problem.
- Finally make sure the spark plug and wiring connections are securely fastened and free of corrosion. Clean or replace them to get the Briggs and Stratton Q6500 generator engine started again.
3. Oil Leaking Problems
If your Briggs and Stratton Q6500 is leaking oil then it likely means the seal between the engine and the oil pan was damaged. Leaks can be caused by;
- Aworn gasket
- Mismatched parts
- Improper installation
- Damage due to an accident
Troubleshooting Oil Leaks Problems
- Move the engine away from any combustible sources to avoid potential fire risks.
- Inspect the area where the oil leak is coming from and identify which seal may be damaged.
- Use a flathead screwdriver to loosen and remove any screws that are securing the seal in place.
- Clean around the area with a rag to remove any debris or dirt that may have built up over time.
4. Fuel System Issues
If your generator fails to start then you may have a fuel system issue. Common causes of fuel system problems include;
- Bad fuel lines
- Clogged air filters
- Faulty spark plugs
Troubleshooting Fuel System Issues
- Check the fuel lines for any blockages And clean them where necessary.
- Replace any worn-out spark plug or clean it if it is possible.
- Inspect the air filter for any debris or clogging.
5. Overheating Issue
The Briggs and Stratton Q6500 can overheat due to extensive use without being supplied with adequate ventilation or cooling. This problem is usually caused by;
- Prolonged use in direct sunlight
- Damaged/ Nonfunctional cooling fans
- Low oil levels
Troubleshooting The Overheating Issue
- Make sure that your generator is not in direct sunlight and that its vents are clear of anything blocking airflow.
- Also inspect the cooling fans for any damage and make sure they are spinning normally.
- You should also check the oil levels regularly to ensure it has not become too low or too dirty. If not properly taken care of otherwise these issues can lead to more serious long-term damage to your Briggs and Stratton Q6500 generator.
How To Prevent Problems For The Briggs And Stratton Q6500
- Clean the air filters regularly with a vacuum or compressed air.
- Spark plugs should be replaced at least once a year or after every 100 hours of use.
- Check your oil level regularly to make sure it’s topped off. Running an engine without enough oil can cause serious damage, so make sure you check it before every use and top up.
- Change the oil and oil filter at least once a year or more often if you use your Q6500 frequently to keep your engine running smoothly.
- Check all fuel lines and hoses periodically for signs of wear or damage, such as cracks, bulges, leaks or discoloration.
What Is The Most Common Issue With The Briggs and Stratton Q6500?
The most common issue with the Briggs and Stratton Q6500 is that it can sometimes have difficulty starting, or not start at all.
Can I Add Oil To My [Briggs And Stratton Q6500] Generator While It’s Running?
No. It’s extremely important that you turn off your generator before attempting to add oil, as it could cause serious damage if added while running. Additionally, make sure you use the correct type and amount of oil for your engine; referring to your owner’s manual should provide you with all of this information.
The Briggs and Stratton Q6500 is a great generator, but like all generators it can suffer from common issues. Fortunately some of these issues have simple fixes that can be quickly identified and fixed with the right set of tools and guidance. It’s important to stay on top of maintenance and regularly inspect the generator to identify any parts that need to be replaced as this can help to extend the life span of the generator.