As technology continues to advance, more and more devices are being designed to make our lives easier. One of such devices is the smart plug. Smart plugs are designed to enable you to control your appliances through your smartphone, voice commands, or even a remote control. In this article we will be looking at two popular (the Kasa EP10 won a prize for being the best smart plug of 2021 and the best smart appliance in 2021) smart plugs from TP-Link, the Kasa EP10 and the Kasa HS103.
Table of Contents
Introduction to Smart Plugs
Before we dive into the comparison of the Kasa EP10 and the HS103 smart plug, it is crucial to understand what a smart plug is. A smart plug is a device that connects to your existing electrical outlet and allows you to control the power supply to any device that is plugged into it. Smart plugs are developed to make it easy for you to control your devices even when you are not at home.
Kasa EP10 vs HS103: Technical Specifications
|Kasa EP10||Kasa HS103|
|Product Weight||9.6 Ounces (oz) [0.6 Pounds]||4 Ounces (oz) [0.25 Pounds]|
|Product Dimensions||2.36″ Length x 2.03″ Width x 1.5″ Height||1.57″ Length x 1.5″ Width x 2.62″ Height|
|Product Model Number||EP10P4||HS103P4|
|Size||4 Pack||4 Count (Pack of 1)|
|Style||Mini 4-Pack||Ultra Mini 4-Pack|
|Connector/Mounting Type||Plug-in/ Plug-and-Play||Plug-in|
|Plug Format||Type B||Type B|
|Usage||Indoor use||Indoor use|
|Material||Flame-retardant PC material||Flame-retardant PC material|
|Special Features||Control from anywhere, Voice control, Flame-retardant material, Set schedules, Remote control, Smart action ecosystem, Compact design, Auto-off timer, Away mode, Group control, Wi-Fi connectivity||Control from anywhere, Voice control, Fire resistant shell, Timer and schedules, Away mode, Scenes, Remote control, Grouping, Smart actions, Compact design, Wi-Fi connectivity, Run time and usage metrics|
|Pattern||WiFi Outlet||WiFi Outlet|
|Warranty||2 Year Manufacturer Warranty||2 Year Manufacturer Warranty|
|Maximum Load||15 Amps||15 Amps|
|Price||Check Price On Amazon||Check Price On Amazon|
The Features and Benefits of The Kasa EP10
The Kasa EP10 is one of the best smart plugs on the market. It is designed to make your life easier and more convenient. Some of the features and benefits of the Kasa EP10 include:
- The Kasa EP10 can be controlled through voice commands. It is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to turn your appliances on and off through voice commands.
- The Kasa EP10 can be controlled from anywhere in the world through your smartphone. You can turn your appliances on and off, set schedules, and even monitor your energy usage from your smartphone.
- The Kasa EP10 is easy to set up. You can set it up in minutes by following the simple instructions that come with the device.
- The Kasa EP10 Smart allows you to monitor your energy usage. You can see how much energy your appliances are using and make adjustments to save money on your energy bills.
The Features and Benefits of The HS103
The Kasa HS103 smart plug is another excellent smart plug as far as smart appliances/ technology go. It is designed to make your life easier and more convenient. Some of the features and benefits of the Kasa HS103 smart plug include:
- The Kasa HS103 can also be controlled from anywhere in the world through your smartphone. You can turn your appliances on and off, set schedules, and even monitor your energy usage from your smartphone. All you need to access it is an internet connection.
- The HS103 smart plug is also very easy to set up. You can set it up in minutes by following the simple instructions that come with the device.
- The HS103 smart plug can also be controlled through voice commands. It is also compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant.
- The HS103 smart plug also allows you to monitor your energy usage. You can see how much energy your appliances are using and make adjustments to save money on your energy bills.
Kasa EP10 vs HS103: User Experience
Kasa EP10 vs HS103: Overall Performance
Both the Kasa EP10 and the Kasa HS103 perform excellently as far as smart technology can go. They both offer remote control, voice control, and energy monitoring. However, the Kasa EP10 is more reliable than the Kasa HS103 smart plug. The Kasa EP10 rarely experiences connectivity issues, while the HS103 is known to experience connectivity issues occasionally.
Kasa EP10 vs HS103: Price
The price of the Kasa EP10 Smart is slightly lower than that of the Kasa HS103. However, the Kasa EP10 is not worth more than the Kasa HS103, because the HS103 is more reliable than the Kasa EP10.
Kasa EP10 vs HS103: Which Smart Wifi Plug Is Worth Your Hard Earned Money?
Whether something is worth it or not depends solely on the user’s personal preferences and overall needs. In the case of these smart plugs, the clear winner and better smart plug is the one without many concerning or harmful flaws to it. Although the Kasa HS103 has some connectivity issues and is more expensive, the Kasa EP10 may seem to be the better option. And in this case it clearly is. You do not have to worry about connectivity issues with the Kasa EP10 because it is reliable and the more affordable option of the two smart plugs.
Pros and Cons of the Kasa EP10 and the HS103
Pros of the Kasa EP10
- It has a way more reliable connectivity that lasts longer than the Kasa HS103.
- It is very easy to set up.
- Energy monitoring through your smartphone.
- Voice control to activate the smart plug from anywhere in the world with services like Google Assistant and Amazon Alexa.
- Remote control to also activate the smart plug from anywhere in the world or simply from a distance as long as it has internet connectivity.
Cons of the Kasa EP10
- Plug may have a blown fuse.
- It doesn’t integrate with Apple HomeKit and lacks energy usage reports.
- Additionally, the Kasa Smart app used to set up and manage the device is outdated and does not show actual power consumption. However, it is still a reliable and affordable option that offers voice control, interaction with other smart home devices.
Pros of the HS103
- It is also very easy to set up and start using. You simply plug and connect it to your smartphone
- It also has energy monitoring, to see which appliances are using the most energy.
- It also has voice control so you can control the HS103 from anywhere in your house or the world.
- Remote control, so that even when you’re far away, you can still control (turn them on or off) your appliances.
Cons of the HS103
- Connectivity issues, the Kasa HS103 is not as stable as the Kasa EP10 so you may lose the internet connection from time to time.
- It is also more expensive than the Kasa EP10 so it may not be as good as you like it to be.
Factors To Consider When Choosing Between The Kasa EP10 and the HS103
When choosing between the Kasa EP10 and the Kasa HS103 smart plugs, there are a few factors to consider. The Kasa EP10 is smaller in size, making it a good option for small appliances. It is also more shallow and comes in a smaller box when compared to the Kasa HS103. On the other hand, the Kasa HS103 has lights on both the button and the edge lit portion on the end. Both smart plugs are essentially identical besides some minor differences and are warm but not hot after being left on for a day without anything being plugged into them. Additionally, the Kasa EP10 does not integrate with Apple HomeKit or offer energy usage reports. If you have other Kasa products or electrical appliances, the Kasa EP10 has reliable performance and is easy to install. However as seen above, both these smart plugs have their flaws.
What Is a Smart Plug?
A smart plug is a device that allows you to control your appliances from your smartphone or tablet. With a smart plug, you can turn your appliances on and off, set schedules, and even monitor your energy usage. Smart plugs are designed to make your life easier and more convenient. A smart plug is also device that can be easily installed between an appliance and its outlet, allowing for remote control of its power through an app or voice commands with a digital assistant. Smart plugs are an affordable and easy-to-use smart device that can be used to automate wired appliances around the home by connecting them to Wi-Fi and controlling them through a phone app or voice commands. The main uses for smart plugs include improving home security, controlling holiday lighting, and reducing energy consumption by limiting parasitic electricity draw. Smart plugs can save money on energy bills, increase home safety by remotely controlling heat-powered devices, and make life more convenient by setting schedules for devices like slow cookers, coffee makers, holiday lights, and outdoor appliances.
Some Frequently Asked Questions About The Kasa EP10 and The HS103
Can I control my appliances with my voice using the Kasa EP10?
Yes, as mentioned above the Kasa EP10 is compatible with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant, allowing you to control your appliances with your voice.
Can I monitor my energy usage with the Kasa HS103 smart plug?
Yes, the HS103 allows you to monitor your energy usage with your smartphone.
Is the [TP-Link] HS103 smart wifi plug easy to set up?
Yes, the HS103 smart plug is very easy to set up. All you have to do to start using it is to plug it into a wall power outlet.
What does the Kasa EP10 do?
Through the Kasa Smart app, you can turn appliances plugged through the Kasa EP10 on and off. You can also set automatic schedules to help the smart plug turn on and off from anywhere in the world or with voice activation.
Can you use Kasa without the internet?
Yes you absolutely can. It is still a plug/adapter after all. The internet connectivity of the smart plug is simply there to add convenience to the technology, otherwise if the internet connectivity is down, one can still use the Kasa EP10 (and the HS103) as plugs.
Can the Kasa smart plug turn on my TV?
Yes it can. Both the Kasa EP10 and the Kasa HS103 can turn on your TV with their voice and remote control functions.
What is the weakness of a smart plug?
Some may say that it is when your smart plug is no longer connected to the internet, however as mentioned before, internet connectivity on a smart plug is only present to accentuate some functionality and features but other than that the smart plug will still transmit electricity even without an internet connection and that’s its basic function.
To summarize, both the Kasa EP10 and the Kasa HS103 are both excellent devices of convenience. They both offer remote control, voice control, and energy monitoring. However, the Kasa EP10 smart wifi plug is more reliable than the Kasa HS103. The Kasa EP10 rarely experiences connectivity issues, while the Kasa HS103 is known to experience some connectivity issues occasionally. And, the Kasa EP10 is worth the extra cost because it is more reliable than the Kasa HS103 . If you are looking for a reliable and easy-to-use smart plug, then the Kasa EP10 smart plug is an excellent choice.