Maintaining a lush green lawn is a top priority for most homeowners. One of the most important aspects of lawn care is watering, and for that, you need a reliable sprinkler. There are many different types of sprinklers out there, but two popular ones are the Hunter I20 and the Rainbird 5000. Today in this article we’ll be taking a closer look at these two sprinklers, compare their features and benefits, and help you to choose the right sprinkler for your lawn.
Table of Contents
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Technical Specifications
|Hunter I20||Rainbird 5000|
|Product Dimensions||5″ Length x 7″ Width x 10″ Height||8.66″ Length x 5.55″ Width x 2.64″ Height|
|Product Weight||13.4 Ounces (oz) [0.84 Pounds]||20.8 Ounces (oz) [1.3 Pounds]|
|Manufacturer||Standard Plumbing Supply-LG||Rainbird|
|Material||Plastic, Stainless steel||Plastic, Stainless steel|
|Style||Pop-up, Rotor, Misting, Adjustable||Adjustable, Misting, Rotor, Pop-up|
|Item Model Number||I2004SS||Y54007|
|Nozzles||22 Nozzle choices||8 Low-angle nozzles, 8 Standard angle nozzles|
|Water Spray Distance||17 to 46 Feet||25 to 50 Feet|
|Special Mechanism(s)||FloStop control, Top arc adjustment, Drain-check valve, Automatic return arc||Uniform water distribution, Easy maintenance, Heavy duty spring, Self-flushing arc adjustment|
|Sprinkling Radius||50° to 360° Radius||40° to 360° Radius|
|Number of Sprinkler Settings||3||N/A|
|Warranty||5 Year Warranty||5 Year Warranty|
|Price||Check Price On Amazon||Check Price On Amazon|
The Features and Benefits of The Hunter I20
The Hunter I20 is a pop-up sprinkler that is ideal for medium to large lawns. It has a sprinkling radius of up to 35 feet and can cover an area of up to 4,000 square feet. The I20 is also adjustable, so you can customize the spray pattern to suit your lawn’s specific needs. One of the key features of the Hunter I20 is its patented gear-driven mechanism. This mechanism ensures that the sprinkler head rotates smoothly and evenly, which means that your lawn will receive consistent coverage. The I20 also has a durable construction, with a stainless steel riser and a heavy-duty plastic body that can withstand harsh weather conditions. Another benefit of the Hunter I20 is its easy installation process. The sprinkler comes with a pre-installed nozzle, which means that all you need to do is screw it onto your irrigation system and adjust the spray pattern to your liking.
The Features and Benefits of The Rainbird 5000
The Rainbird 5000 is another popular pop-up sprinkler that is ideal for larger lawns. It has a radius of up to 50 feet and can cover an area of up to 5,000 square feet. The 5000 is also adjustable, with a customizable spray pattern that can be adjusted from 40 to 360 degrees. One of the key features of the Rainbird 5000 is its patented Rain Curtain™ nozzle technology. This technology ensures that the sprinkler head delivers a consistent and even spray pattern, which means that your lawn will receive uniform coverage. The 5000 also has a durable construction, with a stainless steel riser and a heavy-duty plastic body that can withstand extreme weather conditions. Another benefit of the Rainbird 5000 is its compatibility with a range of irrigation systems, both smart and normal. The sprinkler can be used with both above-ground and below-ground systems, which makes it a versatile choice for homeowners.
Battle of The Hunter I20 and The Rainbird 5000’s Features
Now that we’ve looked at the features and benefits of the Hunter I20 and Rainbird 5000 individually, let’s compare some of their features head-to-head.
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Coverage Area
- The Rainbird 5000 has a slightly larger coverage area than the Hunter I20, with a radius of up to 50 feet compared to the I20’s 46 feet. However both these sprinklers can reach or make a complete 360 degree turn without fail.
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Spray Pattern
- Both sprinklers are adjustable, but the Rainbird 5000 has a wider range of customization options, with a spray pattern that can be adjusted from 40 to 360 degrees. The Hunter I20, on the other hand, has a fixed spray pattern but it also can be adjusted (from 50 to 360 degrees) to suit your lawn’s needs.
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Nozzle Technology
- The Rainbird 5000’s Rain Curtain nozzle technology ensures that the sprinkler head delivers consistent and even coverage, while the Hunter I20’s patented gear- driven mechanism ensures that the sprinkler head rotates smoothly and evenly.
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Compatibility
- The Rainbird 5000 is compatible with both above-ground and below-ground irrigation systems, while the Hunter I20 is only compatible with above-ground systems. However both these sprinklers are compatible with most sorts of sprinkler control systems.
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Price
- The Hunter I20 is generally more affordable than the Rainbird 5000, which makes it a more popular choice for homeowners on a budget. This is due to the fact that the Rainbird 5000 has a superior sprinkling radius and can be seen as the more better option by many people.
Hunter I20 vs Rainbird 5000: Which Sprinkler Is The Better Choice For You?
When deciding between the Hunter I20 and the Rainbird 5000, there are a number of factors to consider. If you have a smaller lawn or garden, the Hunter I20 may be the better choice due to its lower range and slightly lower price tag. However, if you have a larger area to cover, the Rainbird 5000 may be the better choice due to its larger range and more efficient water delivery, even though it has a slightly more expensive price tag. In the battle of the sprinklers (the Hunter I20 vs The Rainbird 5000), the clear winner in terms of power and efficiency is the Rainbird 5000.
Installation and Maintenance Tips for Hunter I20 and Rainbird 5000 Sprinklers
Whether you choose the Hunter I20 or Rainbird 5000 sprinkler, proper installation and maintenance are essential for optimal performance. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
Make sure that your irrigation system is turned off before installing the sprinkler. If you’re installing the sprinkler for the first time, consult the manufacturer’s instructions for guidance. Ensure that the sprinkler head is level with the ground to prevent damage. Test the sprinkler to ensure that it is functioning properly before covering it with soil or turf.
Regularly check the sprinkler heads for clogs or damage. Adjust the spray pattern as needed to ensure that your lawn is receiving even coverage. Clean the sprinkler heads periodically to remove any debris or sediment. Winterize your sprinkler system before the first winter/ cold front to prevent damage to the sprinklers’ mechanisms from freezing temperatures.
Pros and Cons of Hunter I20 Sprinkler
Like any product, the Hunter I20 has its pros and cons. Here are some of the key benefits and drawbacks of using this specific sprinkler.
- Adjustable arc and radius for customized coverage, so you can spray from a radius of as little as 40 degrees to as much as 360 degrees.
- Low flow rate for water conservation, but it is not as efficient as that of the Rainbird 5000.
- Check valve to prevent drainage and reduce watering frequency.
- Large nozzle selection for precise watering and better water distribution.
- Durable stainless steel riser and heavy-duty plastic body so there’s no degradation.
- More affordable price point than the Rainbird 5000 so you can be sure to purchase as many as possible.
- Due to the stainless steel riser the sprinkler has a smooth and even rotation.
- Easy to install like many sprinklers on the market.
- Smaller sprinkling range than other sprinklers like the Rainbird 5000.
- Only compatible with above-ground irrigation systems, so it has limited usage.
Pros and Cons of Rainbird 5000 Sprinkler
- Adjustable arc and radius for customized coverage just like the Hunter I20 but it can go as low as 40°.
- Patented Rain Curtain nozzle technology for uniform and way better water distribution than the Hunter I20.
- Low precipitation rate for better water conservation.
- Tough and reinforced stainless steel stem and heavy-duty plastic body.
- You can use it on a wide range of large lawns and gardens.
- Wide range of customization options than the Hunter I20.
- Compatible with both above-ground and below-ground irrigation systems, so it is not as limited in usage case scenarios as the Hunter I20.
- Larger coverage area with consistent and even lawn coverage.
- Higher price tag compared to some other sprinklers like the Hunter I20.
- Limited nozzle selection compared to the Hunter I20.
- More complex installation process, because it is also a complex sprinkler.
- May be too powerful for smaller lawns.
Factors to Consider When Choosing Between The Hunter I20 and The Rainbird 5000
When choosing between the two sprinklers, there are a few key factors to consider including things like: Size of lawn or garden, water pressure and flow rate, range of sprinkler, water efficiency features, price and durability, etcetera. By considering these factors, you can choose the right sprinkler to meet your specific needs. When installing your Hunter I20 or Rainbird 5000 sprinkler, be sure to follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully. This will help ensure that your sprinkler is installed correctly and operates efficiently. Regular maintenance is also important to keep your sprinkler in good working condition. This may include cleaning the sprinkler head, checking for leaks, and replacing any worn or damaged parts.
Some Frequently Asked Questions About The Hunter I20 Sprinkler and the Rainbird 5000 Sprinkler
How do I adjust the arc and radius of my Hunter I20 or Rainbird 5000 sprinkler?
Both sprinklers come with instructions for adjusting the arc and radius. Typically, this involves using a special tool to adjust the sprinkler head to the desired position.
Can I use my Hunter I20 or Rainbird 5000 sprinkler with a smart irrigation system?
Yes, both sprinklers are compatible with most smart irrigation systems.
How often should I water my lawn or garden with my Hunter I20 or Rainbird 5000 sprinkler?
The frequency of watering will depend on a number of factors, including the type of soil, climate, and plant type. As a general/ popular rule, it’s best to water deeply but infrequently to encourage deep root growth.
Are Hunter sprinklers any good?
Yes, in fact it is claimed by many that Hunter sprinklers are more durable and rugged than Rainbird sprinklers, even with the Hunter I20 being less powerful than the Rainbird 5000.
Does A Rainbird [sprinkler] adjust for rain?
That mostly depends on what type of sprinkler controll system you would have installed. If you have a smart sprinkler controller system then chances are that the Rainbird sprinkler(s) will be automatically shut off when it starts to rain. However the same cannot be said for normal sprinkler control systems.
Does the Rainbird 5000 have a check valve?
No it doesn’t. Unlike with the Hunter I20, you cannot check to see whether the drainage of the Rainbird 5000 is working correctly or not. However it does have an automatic or self-flushing mechanism that makes sure you don’t have to worry about the finer details.
Can I control my Hunter sprinkler system from my smartphone?
This also depends on which type of sprinkler control system you install to help manage the sprinklers. If it is a smart sprinkler controller system that offers this feature then you will be able to control your Hunter sprinklers with your smartphone.
Making the right choice for your lawn in the end and choosing the right sprinkler for your lawn Ultima comes down to what you want or needs as an overall result. The Hunter I20 is a reliable and affordable option that is ideal for medium-sized lawns, while the Rainbird 5000 is a more powerful and versatile option that is perfect for larger properties. Consider the features and benefits of each sprinkler carefully, and choose the one that best suits your lawn’s needs. With proper installation and maintenance, either sprinkler can help you get the lush, healthy, and evergreen lawn that will be the envy of your neighbors.