Excavators are known to succumb to wear and tear overtime and one of the components which definitely gives users a problem is the travel motor. Below we look at some common excavator travel motor problems and how you can easily resolve them.
Table of Contents
What Is An Excavator Travel Motor?
An excavator travel motor is a component that is part of the hydraulic drive system of an excavator. It derives its main power from the hydraulic pump. An excavator travel motor is responsible for fueling the final drive motor and it is also responsible for shifting gears and maintaining adequate speed of the excavator.
Excavator Travel Motor Problems
NB: All excavators are sold with functional travel motors and the problems indicated below are usually influenced by wear and tear or human error.
1. Engine Lacks Power
The engine of an excavator can lack power if there is something wrong with the travel motor. This usually occurs when the following occur;
- Travel motor may be stuck in fast mode.
- The travel motor may be worn out.
- Gearbox may be worn out.
Troubleshooting Engine Lacks Power Problem
If you notice that the engine of your excavator is losing power you should try the following in a bid to reslove the problem;
- If the travel motor is stick in fast mode you need to try and fix it.
- Replace a worn out travel motor with a new one.
- Replace a worn out gearbox with a new one.
2. Oil Leaks
Another main problem which you will encounter with an excavator travel motor is that oil will leak from the travel motor. This problem usually happens when the the following things happen;
- The gearbox cover or casing may be damaged
- Pressure may have build up in the gearbox.
- Floating seal may be damaged or worn out.
Troubleshooting Oil Leaks Problem
When oil is leaking from your excavator travel motor you can try the following techniques in order to resolve the problem;
- Replace the gearbox casing or cover with a new one if it is damaged.
- If there is pressure build up in your gearbox you need to take your machine to a reputable dealer to have it fixed.
- Replace the damaged or worn out floating seal with a new one.
3. Gearbox Oil Level Rises
The gearbox oil level of an excavator can start to rise if there is a problem with the excavator travel motor. This problem usually occurs when the following things happen;
- The motor shaft may be worn out.
- Bearings may be worn out.
- Oil seal may be worn out.
- There might be excessive pressure in motor casing.
Troubleshooting Gearbox Oil Level Rises Problem
If the oil in your gearbox rises you should try the following techniques in order to help resolve the issue;
- Replace the motor shaft if it is worn out.
- Replace worn out or old bearings with new ones.
- Replace the oil seal if it is worn out.
- Take your excavator to a reputable dealer if it has excessive pressure in motor casing.
4. Excessive Noises
Excavators are known to make noises however, if they start making excessive noises it means that something is wrong with the travel motor. This problem usually happens when the following things occur;
- The sprocket bolts may be loose.
- Travel motor may be be worn out or damaged.
Troubleshooting Excessive Noises Problem
If you hear excessive noises from your travel motor or excavator you should try the following methods in order to resolve the problem;
- Tighten the sprocket bolts if they are loose.
- Replace the travel motor with a new one if it is worn out or damaged.
5. Gearbox Casing Overheats
The casing of a gearbox can sometimes overheat. This problem is an indication that there is something wrong with the excavator travel motor. It is usually caused by the following factors;
- Lack of oil in excavator.
- Worn out bearings.
- Brake may not be releasing properly.
- The hydraulic oil may be excessively hot.
Troubleshooting Gearbox Casing Overheats Problem
When you notice that the gearbox casing of an excavator is overheating you can try the following techniques in order to resolve the issue;
- Check oil levels and replenish it if low.
- Replace worn out bearings with new ones.
- Fix and ensure that brakes are releasing properly.
- If the hydraulic oil is excessively hot you need to allow it to cool down and then take your excavator to a reputable dealer to have it fixed.
How To Avoid Excavator Travel Motor Problems
If you want to avoid experiencing excavator travel motor problems it is best to regularly service and maintain your excavator. This will help to ensure that any problems are identified earlier before they turn into something even bigger. You should also make it a habit if checking or monitoring the perfomance of your excavator. This will help you identify if there is something wrong with your machine. An excavator should be serviced at least once a year.
Causes Of Excavator Travel Motor Problems
Wear And Tear
One of the main causes of excavator travel motor problems is wear and tear. The travel motor is susceptible to wear and tear therefore, it is essential that you replace it if it is worn out. If you are constantly using your excavator there is a chance that the travel motor will quickly wear out.
If you do not maintain your excavator it will definitely develop probelms with its travel motor. Therefore, it is imperative that you maintaina nd service your excavator sobthat it stays in good condition.
What Is The Purpose Of The Travel Motor?
The purpose of the travel motor is to fuel the final drive motor and to change gears.
What Causes Final Drive Failure?
Worn out bearings and piston rings are the main causes of final drive failure. Therefore, you should try to replace these components before they cause so many problems.
The Excavator travel motor is a very important component found on an excavator. Therefore, it is your responsibility to ensure that it stays in good condition. This means you have to service your excavator regularly.