There are many factors that are considered before one is allowed to have a car towed for parking in front of his house. The decisions are made based on considerations of the time the car had been parked there, is your road way blocked, and is the house a private residential stand or public. Having someone parking a car in front of your house can get you emotional at times leading to unwanted behavior like retaliation or shouting. There are proper ways of having a car towed for parking in front of your house which should be followed.
Table of Contents
When To Tow A Car Parked In Front Of Your House
There are circumstances that allows someone to get a car towed for parking in front of his or her house. If the house is a private property making the street also private street, you have the right to get the car towed provided there was adequate signage warning the cars not to park there. In this instance you can have the car towed immediately without any waiting period. For instances where there are no warning signs a waiting period of 24 hours shall be given for the driver to move the car else you may have the car towed. This is different for public streets where the house owner has little control over who parks in front of his or her house. For public residential areas where the streets are public, a car cannot be towed as long it has not been parked there for more than 72 hours. 72 hours is the maximum stipulated time allowed for a car to be towed for parking in front of a house or street.
Additionally if a car is blocking your drive way you may have it towed right away without any waiting period. City authorities usually fine drivers for not only blocking driveways but also for parking very close to drive ways.
How To Get A Car Towed For Parking In Front Of Your House
Depending on the circumstances there are different ways applicable to get a car towed for parking in front of your house. If the house is a private property which makes the streets therein private and adequate signage prohibiting parking is available where it is clearly seen follow steps below.
- Call the police immediately notifying them of the car parked in front of your house.
- The police will handle the towing of the car and the owner shall be liable for the towing expenses.
- You may need to try and check if the owner is around before making a police report so that you warn him and advise him to move his car away.
In cases where there was no signage prohibiting parking,
- You may give a waiting period of 24 hours and probably leave a note on the car so that if the driver comes he will get to know of your complaint.
- If the car is not removed after 24 hours you may call the police and have them tow the car. The owner will bear the towing expenses.
For a car that is parked in front of your house and blocking your dive way, California law allows you to tow the car immediately. You just have to call a tow company and have the car towed for parking in front of your house blocking your drive way without any waiting period. The less aggressive way in case the drive way is not fully blocked is to give 24 hour period for the owner to remove the car and proceed with calling the tow company if the car is not removed. Drivers are encouraged to observe the signage as violating them will attract a fine and in some cases have the vehicles impounded by the local authorities. Additional towing fees also apply and the inconveniences that may result from these processes should be avoided.
Ways To Avoid Parking In Front Of Your House
There are many ways that can be used to discourage drivers from parking in front of your house.
- For a private residential property, adequate signage should be used to warn people that parking is prohibited. The prohibition sign should comply with signage regulatory requirements and be posted on a clear stand without any obstruction. The signage should be in a language prescribed by the signage requirements.
- You may make use of traffic cones. Purchase your traffic cones that you use when leaving and remove when you come back. These are cheap and easy to use and have been found to be a great way of controlling who parks where.
- You may need to hang a chain that barricades the area and avoid other drivers from parking in front of your house.
What To Avoid When A Car Is Parked In Front Of Your House
When a car is parked in front of your house especially blocking your drive way, many people get angry and are tempted to do many things. Below are things that you need to avoid if a car is parked in front of your house.
- Never tow the car yourself. It is not allowed and is regarded a criminal offense for you to tow someone’s car. It might seem like it’s the fastest method but resist the temptation and follow procedure.
- Avoid taking out your frustration at the owner of the car. It’s very normal that people get angry over such a scenario probably because you have been delayed but great self-control is required in such circumstances. Avoid shouting and insulting the driver of the car parked in front of your house.
Within the confines of the law, it is possible to have a car towed for parking in front of your house. It is important that as citizens we familiarize ourselves with these laws as they guide us in the course of action to take in different circumstances.