Every skid steer loader has its problems and the Bobcat S250 is no exception. The article below focuses on some of the most common Bobcat S250 problems and how you can easily troubleshoot them at home.
Table of Contents
What Is Bobcat S250?
The Bobcat S25O is a skid steer loader that has a hydraulic power system and a vertical path lift arm that is able to lift heavy materials. This machine is very durable and it one of the fastest and easiest skid steers to operate.
Bobcat S250 Problems
NB: Bobcat S250 skid steers are sold without any malfunctioning parts and the problems indicated below are usually influenced by wear and tear experienced by the machine.
1. Bucket Does Not Lift Or Tilt
One of the problems which you may experience with the Bobcat S250 is that the machine can fail to lift or tilt the bucket. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- Defective bucket controls.
- The hydraulic pump might be faulty
- Hydraulic oil might be low.
- Hydraulic control valve may be faulty.
- Hydraulic bucket cylinder might not be working.
Troubleshooting Bucket Does Not Lift Or Tilt Problem
If the bucket of your Bobcat S250 does not lift or tilt here are a few methods you can use in order to resolve the problem;
- If bucket controls are defective you can either repair or replace them with new ones.
- If the hydraulic pump is faulty you can fix it or replace it.
- Check hydraulic oil and replenish it if low.
- If the hydraulic valve is faulty you should repair it.
- If the hydraulic bucket cylinder is not working, you should replace it with a new one.
2. Engine Makes Noise
The Bobcat S250 has a problem of making unfamiliar noises. These noises are mainly caused by any of the following factors;
- Worn out or damaged pistons.
- Misaligned or defective connecting rod.
- Clogged or damaged fuel injectors.
- Low engine oil.
Troubleshooting Engine Makes Noise Problem
If your Bobcat S250 is making unfamiliar noises, here is how you can try to troubleshoot the problem.
- Replace worn out or damaged pistons with new ones.
- Re-align the connection rod if it is misaligned and replace it with a new one if damaged.
- Unclog fuel injector or replace it with a new one if damaged.
- If the engine oil is low, replenish it with clean oil.
3. Engine Overheats
The engine of a Bobcat S250 tends to overheat. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- There might be no engine coolant in your machine.
- Engine oil might be low.
- Radiator fins might be dirty or the radiator might be damaged.
- Fan belt might be worn out or damaged.
Troubleshooting Engine Overheats Problem
When the engine of your Bobcat S250 continues to overheat, here are a few techniques you can use in order to resolve the issue;
- Check engine coolant levels and replenish it if low.
- Check engine oil levels and replenish if low.
- Clean radiator fins if dirty or you can choose to replace the radiator if it is damaged.
- If fan belt is worn out or damaged, replace it with a new one.
4. Engine Starts But Stalls
The engine of a Bobcat S250 can sometimes start but then stall. This problem is usually influenced by several factors some of which include;
- A clogged air filter.
- The fuel filter element might be clogged.
- The fuel injection pump might have a leakage.
- The fuel injection pump might be dirty or defective.
Troubleshooting Engine Starts But Stalls Problem
When you notice that the engine of your Bobcat S250 is starting but then stalling, you can use the following methods to try and resolve the problem.
- Clean the air filter.
- Clean fuel filter element.
- Check for leaks on your fuel injection pump and try to resolve them.
- Clean fuel injection pump and fix or replace it if damaged.
5. Battery Does Not Charge
The Bobcat S250 may experience battery problems. This is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- Battery connections might be loose or corroded.
- Terminals might be faulty.
- Battery cells might be damaged.
- Belt might be loose or damaged.
Troubleshooting Battery Does Not Charge Problem
If you notice that the battery of your Bobcat S250 is refusing to charge, here are a few troubleshooting techniques that you can try in order to resolve the issue;
- Check battery connections and tighten them if they are loose.
- Clean battery connections if they are corroded.
- Check battery terminals and replace them if they are damaged.
- If battery cells are damaged, you will have to replace the battery with a new one.
- If the belt is loose tighten it, but if it is damaged you will have to replace it with a new one.
6. Engine Does Not Start
The engine of a Bobcat S250 may sometimes refuse to start. This problem is usually caused by the following factors;
- Fuel injection pump might be defective or damaged.
- There might be air in fuel tank.
- There might be dirt or water in the fuel tank.
Troubleshooting Engine Does Not Start Problem
If the engine of your Bobcat S250 refuses to start, here are a few ways in which you can troubleshoot the problem.
- Fix or replace the fuel injection pump if it is not working properly.
- Bleed fuel tank in order to get rid of the air.
- Drain fuel from the Bobcat and replenish it with clean fuel.
How Much Can Bobcat S250 lift?
The Bobcat S250 can lift material that weigh up to 2500 pounds.
What Are Common Problems With Bobcats?
Bobcat makes one of the best track loaders and skid steers however, their machines still experience problems just like any other machine. Some of the common problems with Bobcat are;
- Engine overheats.
- Hydraulic pressure problems.
- Starting problems.
- Control system problems.
Bobcat S250 is one of the best skid steers you will find on the market. It is important to remember that the problems indicated in the article above can be avoided if you regularly service and maintain your machine.