Bernina has definitely created a name for itself in the sewing machine industry with its sophisticated, classy and highly durable sewing machines. However, in as much as these sewing machines are good, they tend to develop problems just like any other sewing machine you would find on the market. The article below focuses on some of the most common Bernina 740 problems and how you can easily resolve them.
Table of Contents
What Is A Bernina 740?
The Bernina 740 is a high quality sewing machine that is ideally suited for decorative stitches. It has a hook that sews high precision stitches up to 9mm in width. The bobbin of a Bernina 740 holds 70% more thread than standard bobbins. The Bernina 740 also has an onscreen support system that helps you with finding the proper needle and foot.
Bernina 740 Problems
NB: Bernina 740 sewing machines are sold without any malfunctioning parts and the problems indicated below are usually influenced by human error or wear and tear of the machine.
1. Machine Refuses To Start
One of the common problems you may experience with a Bernina 740 sewing machine is that it may refuse to start. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- The machine might not be plugged in properly.
- Room temperature might be unfavorable.
- Machine might be damaged.
Troubleshooting Machine Refuses To Start Problem
When you notice that your Bernina 740 sewing machine is refusing to start, here are a few troubleshooting techniques that you can use to try and resolve the problem.
- Check whether the machine is plugged in correctly into the mains power supply.
- Place the machine in a warm room for about an hour before switching it on.
- If the machine refuses to start after following the above methods, there is a risk that the machine might be damaged and you have to take it to a reputable dealer.
2. Machine Struggles To Update Firmware
The Bernina 740 sewing machine usually faces problems when it comes to updating its firmware. Below are some of the factors that cause this problem;
- USB stick might not be recognized by the machine.
- Update process might be blocked.
- The firmware updates may not be found on the USB stick.
Troubleshooting Machine Struggles To Update Firmware Problem
If you notice that your Bernina 740 sewing machine is having a hard time installing updates. Please try the following methods in order to resolve the problem.
- Use a Bernina USB stick when trying to install updates on the machine.
- If update is blocked, remove the USB stick and switch off the machine and then turn it back on. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen of your machine.
- If firmware updates are not being found make sure you unzip the update data and then store it in the USB stick and not in a folder.
3. Inactive Display
The display of a Bernina 740 machine can sometimes become inactive no matter how much you try to touch the screen. This problem is usually caused by any of the following;
- Eco mode might be activated.
- You might have entered incorrect calibrating data.
Troubleshooting Inactive Display Problem
When trying to troubleshoot an inactive display screen in a Bernina 740 please do the following;
- Tap eco mode and deactivate it.
- Recalibrate the screen with the correct data.
4. Needle Breaks
Another problem which you may experience with the Bernina 740 is that the needle may break. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- Needle might be inserted incorrectly into the machine.
- Thread might have knots.
- Fabric might have been pulled.
- Thick fabric might have been pushed.
Troubleshooting Needle Breaks Problem
When you notice that the needle of your Bernina 740 machine is constantly breaking, here are a few things you can do to try and resolve the issue;
- Check whether needle is inserted correctly into the machine and try to fix it.
- Use quality threads always when using a Bernina machine.
- Feed fabric evenly into the machine without pulling it.
- If you are sewing thick fabric make sure you use a suitable presser foot.
5. Upper Thread Breaks
The upper thread of a Bernina 740 machine can break and this can be frustrating for many users. The upper thread usually breaks because of the following reasons;
- Incorrect needle/ thread combination.
- Upper thread might be too tight.
- Machine might be wrongly threaded.
- Thread might be poor quality.
- The hook tip or stitch plate might be damaged.
Troubleshooting Upper Thread Breaks Problem
When you notice that the upper thread of your Bernina 740 continues to break, you can try using any of these techniques to resolve the issue.
- Always match the needle with the correct thread size before sewing.
- Reduce upper thread tension such that it is not too tight
- If machine is wrongly threaded you should rethread it.
- Always make sure you are using quality thread on your machine.
- Replace stitch plate if damaged.
How Reliable Are Bernina Sewing Machines?
Bernina sewing machines are very reliable. They are made using strong materials and they can last you for 20 to 25 years if you take good care of them. Bernina has various types and models of sewing machines, so you may need to research before settling on the perfect model for you.
How Often Should A Bernina Sewing Machine Be Serviced?
A Bernina sewing machine should be serviced at least once a year. This helps to ensure that it lasts for a long period of time.
How Long Should A Bernina Sewing Machine Last?
A Bernina sewing machine should last you for about 20 to 25 years. In fact, most Bernina machines have a 20 year warranty. So if you are looking for a strong sewing machine to purchase you should definitely consider Bernina.
The Bernina 740 sewing machine is a fantastic machine to own, and while it may succumb to problems in the future, it is worth noting that they can easily be resolved. So if you are thinking of getting yourself a Bernina 740, you should definitely go for it.