Working on the farm often involves long hours of hard and tedious work, and especially in today ‘s farm lands that often cover vast acres of land. Thanks to the reliability and versatility of Satoh tractors however one can easily have a lot of work done in a relatively short space of time. Satoh tractors are designed to be very robust and can prove to be very useful when it comes to getting difficult tasks completed on the farm. Despite the great performance of the tractors however they can develop problems that will discussed below.
Table of Contents
What Is a Satoh Tractor?
Satoh Agricultural Machine MFg. Inc. has been making tractors since 1973 such as the Satoh S650G. The company later merged with Mitsubishi in 1980 leading to manufacturer of tractors such as the Satoh S670D tractor. Thanks to the powerful and reliable Mitsubishi engines in the Satoh tractors they are very capable machines and can often be fitted with different equipment attachments to meet the demands of the job.
Satoh Tractor Problems
NB: The Satoh tractor is usually sold without any problems or defects. Any problems that may arise, including those highlighted below are usually caused by wear and tear arising on the machine while in use.
1. Engine Failure
Engine failure is of the biggest problems that can plague the Satoh tractor and hence affecting its performance or causing the entire tractor to stop functioning. There are several reasons that can cause engine failure and these include;
- Engine oil leakages due to degraded oil seals and gaskets.
- Clogged or dirty carburetor and fuel injectors.
- Faulty starter motor.
Troubleshooting Engine Failure
When the Satoh Tractor engine develops problems one can perform several of the following things in order to restore proper function.
- Inspecting and replacing degraded oil seals and gaskets.
- Regularly checking and cleaning or replacing the carburetor or fuel injectors to prevent problems.
- Regularly inspecting the starter motor voltage and windings to ensure proper function.
2. Cooling System Faults
The cooling system is essential for cooling the engine during operation hence ensuring longer engine life. Problems with the cooling system can be caused by the following
- Wear and tear of drive belts.
- Faulty water pump.
- Malfunctioning thermo-switch.
Troubleshooting Cooling System Faults
In order to ensure the cooling system functions as intended the following can be done
- Replacing faulty belts and tensioning belts when they become loose.
- Hiring trained professionals to look into the water pump when any problems develop.
- Regularly inspecting and replacing the thermo-switch when it develops problems.
3. Battery Undercharging
The battery is an essential component of the Satoh tractor and without a properly working battery, the tractor may fail to function or even start. Reasons for the battery undercharging can involve the following
- Improper generator belt tension.
- Faulty wiring and damaged alternator.
- Faulty battery or battery regulator.
Troubleshooting An Undercharging Battery
When one notices that the battery is developing problems of some sort the following can be done in order to address the problem.
- Tensioning the belt to restore proper tension and avoid slipping.
- Inspecting and replacing any faulty wiring and checking the alternator for any faults.
- Checking battery voltage for any signs or damage on the battery, hence replacing it if any are found.
4. Faulty Clutch System
The clutch is used to disengage the engine from the wheels in order perform smooth gear changes and as such problems with the clutch can affect the smooth function of the tractor. Reasons for clutch malfunction may include;
- Oily or greasy clutch disc.
- Deflection on the clutch discs and loose riveting.
- Scratches or burning on the pressure plate or flatness of pressure plate.
Troubleshooting Faulty Clutch System
There are a couple of ways that one can use to address faults with the clutch mechanism and these include
- Wiping grease off the clutch disc with a cloth damped with gasoline and then drying the disc off. The clutch disc may need replacing if the grease is too much.
- Checking for deflection on the clutch disc and replacing if it is too much.
- Smoothing out the pressure plate and readjusting the clutch pedal free play.
5. Braking System Problems
The braking system is necessary in order to stop the Satoh tractor when in motion. Problems with the braking system may include;
- Wear on the brake lining and uneven brake lining contact.
- Oil on brake lining.
- Oil leakages in the braking system and foreign matter in the drum.
Troubleshooting Braking System Problems
If problems develop with the braking system the following can be done to address them.
- Grinding the brake lining surface and replacing when there is excessive wear.
- Cleaning the oil using sand paper and replacing each lining if too much oil is present.
- Tightening screws to avoid oil leakages and replacing faulty oil seals. Also checking the “O” rings and replacing them if faulty, to prevent foreign material from entering into the drum.
How To Avoid Satoh Tractor Problems?
The best way to ensure no problems develop with the Satoh tractor is to regularize with the proper maintenance schedule and following the appropriate steps to address any challenges if they arise. Also ensure the Satoh tractor is operated as per the manufacturer’s recommended operating conditions and avoid any situations that may hinder its smooth performance.
Are Satoh Tractors Any Good?
The Satoh tractor is reliable however regular maintenance is essential to ensure the tractor maintains high levels of dependability.
Who Makes Satoh Tractors?
In 1980, Satoh and Mitsubishi Machinery merged to create Mitsubishi Agricultural Machinery. The company then made iconic models such as the Satoh S670D tractor.
In conclusion Satoh tractors are very powerful and reliable. The powerful Mitsubishi engines used in the tractors allow the tractors to offer significantly more power at a reasonable price point. The engine can even offer up to 38 hp allowing the tractor to be used with almost any job on the farm. Several attachments can be fitted to tractor depending on the needs of the farmer. Despite the remarkable performance, the tractor is not full proof and problems can occur leading to poor performance hence maintenance is necessary to ensure the tractor functions as intended.