Knowing which problems your irrigation controller is most likely to face, can help you in the future. Below we look at some of the most common Hunter irrigation controller problems and how you can easily troubleshoot them.
Table of Contents
What Is A Hunter Irrigation Controller?
A Hunter irrigation controller is a device that is used to manage the amount of water you use when watering your vegetation. This device can be used to customize your watering schedule and it can also limit the amount of water you use. The Hunter irrigation controller is very reliable and durable so you will definitely be getting value for your money.
Hunter Irrigation Controller Problems
1. Rain Sensor Does Not Shut Off The System
One of the problems which you may experience with a Hunter irrigation controller is that the rain sensor may refuse to shut off the system. This problem usually occurs when any of the following happen;
- The rain sensor may be deactivated.
- Jumper may not have been removed when sensor was installed.
- Stations may have been programmed to override the sensors.
Troubleshooting Rain Sensor Does Not Shut Off The System Problem
When you notice that your rain sensors are not shutting off the program, you can try any of the following techniques in order to resolve the issue;
- Check whether rain sensor is connected properly and try to fix it.
- Remove jumper from the sensor terminals.
- Reprogram the stations so that sensors can start working.
2. Controller Continues To Water Even When It Should Not Be
When you have a Hunter irrigation controller, the controller may continue watering even when it is supposed to stop. This problem usually occurs when;
- Too many start times have been programmed.
Troubleshooting Controller Continues To Water Even When It Should Not Be
If you notice that your controller is still watering your plants yet it should have stopped, you can try using the following technique in order to resolve the issue;
- Only set one start time in order for the controller to function properly.
3. Display Is Blank
The display of a Hunter irrigation controller can sometimes turn blank. This problem usually occurs when the following happens;
- AC power wiring may be faulty.
- There might be a power surge.
Troubleshooting Display Is Blank Problem
If you notice that the display of your Hunter irrigation controller is blank, you can try any of the following techniques in order to resolve the issue;
- Check AC power wiring and correct any errors that may be present.
- If there is a power surge you need to reset the controller.
4. Display Indicates P ERR
When you have a Hunter irrigation controller the display can indicate P ERR. This problem is usually caused by any of the following factors;
- Pump relay may not be compatible with the controller.
- Pump relay or solenoid may be defective.
- Master valve wiring may be faulty.
- The wire used on the pump relay or master valve may be short.
Troubleshooting Display Indicates P ERR Problem
If the display of your Hunter irrigation controller indicates P ERR you should try any of the following methods in order to resolve the issue;
- Check whether pump relay is compatible with the controller. If it is not you will need to have it replaced.
- If the pump relay or solenoid is defective you will need to replace them.
- Replace the wire length when connecting the master valve or pump relay.
5. Display Indicates Sensor Off
Another problem which you may experience with a Hunter irrigation controller is that the display may indicate sensor off. This problem usually occurs when any of the following things happen;
- The rain sensor may be interrupting irrigation.
- The sensor jumper may not be installed.
Troubleshooting Display Indicates Sensor Off Problem
When the display of your Hunter irrigation controller reads sensor off, you can try using the following techniques in order to resolve the issue;
- Position the rain sensor switch to the bypass position in order to bypass rain sensor circuit.
- Install sensor jumper if it was not installed.
6. Controller Does Not Respond To All Stations
Another problem which you may experience with a Hunter irrigation controller is that the controller may fail to respond to all stations. This problem occurs when,
- Controller does not recognize modules.
Troubleshooting Controller Does Not Respond To All Stations Problem
If your Hunter irrigation controller is not responding to all stations you should try the following techniques in order to resolve the problem.
- Rest the controller.
- If the problem persists you should check all module connections to the controller.
7. Controller Does Not Have A Start Time For Each Station
You may also notice that your Hunter irrigation controller does not have a start time for each station. This problem happens when;
- There is a programming error.
- When dial is in incorrect position.
Troubleshooting Controller Does Not Have A Start Time For Each Station
If you notice that your controller does not have a start time for each station you should implement the following techniques in order to resolve the issue;
- Ensure that the dial is in the correct position.
- Check the number of stations which are programmed. In order to do this simply placing dial in set station run times and then press the back arrow.
What Is The P Error On The Hunter Controller?
The P error on the Hunter controller simply means that there is a fault with the wire that goes to the pump start or the master valve.
How Do I Reset My Hunter Irrigation Controller?
You can reset your Hunter irrigation controller by simply pressing the reset button. You can then turn the machine off and remove battery and place it back in again before switching on the irrigation controller.
The problems experienced by Hunter irrigation controllers may seem overwhelming but it’s important to note that they do not happen regularly. Therefore, if you are thinking of purchasing a Hunter irrigation controller do not let this article derail you from doing so. When you buy a Hunter irrigation controller you will definitely discover that you are getting value for your money.