Finding the perfect motorcycle that meets your needs can be a daunting task. This is one of the reasons why you should research on the possible problems of a motorcycle before settling on a specific brand. This helps to ensure that you choose a motorcycle that has less problems which you can easily resolve. Below we look at some of the most common Kawasaki ZX 12R problems and how you can resolve them.
Table of Contents
What Is Kawasaki ZX 12R?
The Kawasaki ZX 12R is a sports bike that is equipped with an inline four 16v DOHC 1,199cc fuel injection engine. This bike has a weight of 213 kgs which means it is quite heavy. This bike is relatively fast and also very durable.
Kawasaki ZX 12R Problems
NB: Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle are sold without any malfunctioning parts and the problems indicated below are usually influenced by wear and tear or human error.
1. Engine Overheats
One of the problems which you may experience with a Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle is that the engine may start to overheat. This problem usually occurs when any of the following things occur;
- The fan belt may be worn out or damaged.
- There might be leakages in the cooling system.
- The hoses may be worn out or damaged.
- Radiator may be clogged or damaged.
Troubleshooting Engine Overheats Problem
When you notice that the engine of your Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle is overheating you can try the following in order to resolve the issue;
- Replace the fan belt if it is worn out or damaged.
- Check for leakages in the cooling system and try to seal them.
- Replace hoses if they are worn out or damaged.
- Clean radiator if it is clogged. If it is damaged you need to replace it.
2. Starting Problems
The engine of a Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle may sometimes refuse to start. This problem is usually caused by a number of things, some of which include;
- Lack of fuel in tank.
- Stale fuel in tank.
- Fuel injection system may be faulty.
Troubleshooting Starting Problem
When you notice that the engine of your Kawasaki ZX 12R is not starting you should try the following techniques in order to try and resolve this problem;
- Check if there is enough fuel in your tank and replenish it if it is low.
- If there is stale fuel in your tank you should drain it out and replace it with clean fuel.
- If the ignition system is faulty it is best to take your motorcycle to a Kawasaki dealer to have it fixed.
3. Engine Misfires
The engine of a Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle can sometimes misfire. This problem is usually caused by the following;
- Spark plug may be faulty.
- Air filter may be clogged.
- Fuel injector may be malfunctioning.
Troubleshooting Engine Misfires Problem
When you notice that the engine of your Kawasaki ZX 12R is misfiring you should try the following techniques in order to resolve the problem;
- Fix or replace the spark plug if it is faulty.
- Clean the air filter if it is clogged.
- Replace the fuel injector if it is malfunctioning.
4. Poor Engine Performance
The engine of a Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle can sometimes start stalling. This problem happens when any of the following things occur;
- There might not be any fuel in the tank.
- You may have added the wrong fuel type or contaminated fuel.
- Clutch lever may have too much freeplay.
- Battery may not be properly connected.
- Engine may have overheated.
Troubleshooting Poor Engine Performance Problem
If you notice that the engine of your Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle is stalling, feel free to try any of the following techniques in order to resolve the issue;
- Check whether there is enough fuel in your tank and replenish it if low.
- Check whether you have added the correct fuel into your tank, if not you will need to drain it and replace with the correct, clean fuel.
- Adjust the clutch lever so that it does not have too much free play.
- Check and ensure that battery is properly connected.
- If engine has overheated, check engine coolant levels and replenish it if low. You should also consider checking the fan belt in order to ensure that it is still functional.
5. Poor Fuel Economy
The Kawasaki ZX 12R can sometimes have a poor fuel economy. This problem is caused by the following;
- You may be using poor quality fuel.
- Air filter may be dirty.
- You may be speeding.
Troubleshooting Poor Fuel Economy Problem
If your Kawasaki ZX 12R motorcycle is using up a lot of fuel you can try the following methods in order to troubleshoot the problem;
- Ensure that you are using high quality fuel.
- Clean air filter if it is dirty.
- Ensure that you are not accelerating the motorcycle frequently.
How To Avoid Kawasaki ZX 12R Problems
The best way to avoid Kawasaki ZX 12R problems is to regularly service and maintain your motorcycle. This means regularly checking oil levels and ensuring that the engine is in good condition. You should also take the bike to a reputable mechanic to have it checked at least twice a year. If there are any worn out parts you should replace them.
What Is The Top Speed Of A Kawasaki ZX 12R?
The top speed of a Kawasaki ZX 12R is 184.6mph. This shows that it is a very powerful and fast bike.
Is The 2002 ZX 12R Fuel Injected?
The 2002 ZX 12R is fuel injected meaning it relies on fuel in order to function.
Is ZX 10R Good For Beginners?
The Kawasaki ZX 10R is not good for beginners mainly because it is too fast and there is a chance that a beginner may get into an accident whilst using it.
The Kawasaki ZX 12R is a good motorcycle to own and while the problems indicated above may seem too much its important to note that they can be easily resolved. If you are thinking of purchasing this bike do not let this article derail you from doing so.