Technology has definitely made it easier for most homeowners to take care of their yards. In this article we are going to be looking at 2 devices that have definitely changed the game when it comes to watering yards. The 2 devices are Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR. These devices are smart sprinkler controllers and can be used when you want to water your yard or vegetation.
Table of Contents
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Comparison Table
|Rachio 3||B-hyve XR|
|Product Dimensions||9.1 x 1.4 x 5.6 inches||4 x 9 x 11 inches|
|Weight||1 pound||4 pounds|
|Zones||8 or 16 zones||6 or 12 zones|
|Sensors||Orbit wireless sensors||Rachio and other third party sensors|
|Warranty||2 years||2 years|
|Price||Check Price on Amazon||Check Price on Amazon|
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Design
The Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR differ in design. The B-hyve XR is designed with multi-color LED lights on the display, whereas the Rachio 3 has an advanced, modern design that looks smart. The B-hyve XR weighs 4 pounds whilst the Rachio 3 weighs only 1 pound. In terms of product dimension, Rachio 3 measures 9.1 x 1.4 x 5.6 inches while B-hyve XR measure 4 x 9 x 11 inches. So if you are looking for something that is a bit light and sophisticated you may have to settle for the Rachio 3.
Another difference to note is that, the Rachio 3 is designed with limited buttons and no display. This means that you will have to refer to your mobile application when you wish to control the sprinklers. On the other hand, the B-hyve XR contains buttons on it and an LCD display. This means you can easily control your sprinklers with the B-hyve XR without needing to refer to your mobile phone. So if you want something that is convenient for you and easy to use, you are better off purchasing the B-hyve XR.
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Price
The Rachio 3 goes for about $199 whereas the B-hyve XR costs about $169. So if you are someone who is looking to save a bit of cash, you are better off purchasing the B-hyve XR. It is cheaper, but you will definitely enjoy most of the features that you would find on a Rachio 3 sprinkler controller.
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Mobile Applications
The Rachio 3 and the B-hyve XR are compatible with different mobile applications. The Rachio 3 uses the Rachio mobile application which is available on both Android and I0S. B-hyve XR uses the Orbit application however, these applications provide you with different data. For starters, if you are using a B-hyve XR, you can only get a notification once the sprinklers have finished watering, but it doesn’t notify you when they start. With the Rachio 3, you are able to receive a notification each time your sprinklers start to water your vegetation and also when they finish doing so.
The Rachio 3 mobile application gives you an option to input information about your soil type, plants, vegetation, watering schedule etc. The Rachio 3 application has everything in one place and is easy to use. It also shows you how much water you have used and how many rain delays your device has received. On the other hand, the Orbit application for B-hyve XR is less organized. While this application gives you the opportunity to input data about how much water you would want to use and the type of vegetation you have, it is a bit confusing to use. Therefore, if you are looking for a smart sprinkler controller that has an easy application to use, you are better off purchasing the Rachio 3.
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Sensors
Rachio 3 is compatible with a variety of third party sensors which means that it is more likely to give you an accurate reading of the weather patterns. On the other hand, the B-hyve XR is only compatible with Orbit B-hyve sensors which means if they are malfunctioning, your remote sprinkler will give you inaccurate recordings. So when it comes to sensors, you are better off purchasing a smart sprinkler controller that is able to pick up third party sensors.
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Voice Operating Technology
The Rachio 3 smart controller sprinkler can be operated using artificial or voice operated smart devices. It is compatible with Google Assistant, Alexa, SmartThings, Wink, Alarm.com and even Nest. The B-hyve XR is only compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant. Therefore you are better off choosing Rachio 3 if you are looking for sprinkler controller that can be operated using smart systems.
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Warranty
The Rachio 3 and the B-hyve XR both come with a warranty of 2 years. So if you are looking for something that is authentic you can purchase any of these smart sprinkler controllers. The advantage of purchasing something that has a warranty is that if it faces problems, you can simply take it back and they will either fix or replace it.
Rachio 3: Pros
- One of the advantages of purchasing the Rachio 3 is that it is compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant, SmartThings, Nest etc. So if you want to use it with a voice assistant you can definitely do so.
- Another upside of owning the Rachio 3 is that it has more sophisticated features when compared to the B-hyve XR. So if you purchase this device, you will definitely be getting value for your money.
- The Rachio 3 provides you with detailed data and chats about how many gallons of water you used or managed to save.
- A seasonal shift on the Rachio 3 automatically adjusts watering time for all your sprinklers.
- The Rachio 3 has a mobile application which is user friendly and updates you when the sprinklers start watering your vegetation and also when they stop.
Rachio 3: Cons
- One of the major disadvantages of purchasing the Rachio 3 is that it is very expensive when compared with the B-hyve XR.
- Another disadvantage of the Rachio 3 is that it does not come with waterproof gear so you will have to purchase it separately despite the fact that the smart sprinkler controller is expensive on its own.
- Rachio 3 only has limited buttons and no LED lights and this limits your use of the sprinkler controller unless you have your mobile phone close by.
B-hyve XR: Pros
- One of the advantages of purchasing the B-hyve XR is that it is cheaper when compared to the Rachio 3 and you can even get some of the features found on the Rachio 3 on this device.
- Another upside of purchasing the B-hyve XR is that it comes with waterproof gear unlike the Rachio 3 which doesn’t.
- Provides you with data about your water usage.
B-hyve XR: Cons
- One of the disadvantages of purchasing the B-hyve XR is that it only notifies you when the sprinklers have finished watering and not when they start to.
- Another disadvantage of purchasing the B-hyve XR is that the mobile application can be a bit difficult to use since it is not as straight forward as the Rachio 3 application.
- It is only compatible with Orbit sensors and not third party sensors.
- The B-hyve XR is only compatible with Alexa and Google assistant voice technologies unlike the Rachio 3 which is compatible with a number of them.
Similarities Between Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR
Whilst the Rachio 3 and the B-hyve XR might seem like 2 different smart sprinkler controllers, they actually have a bit of some similarities. Below we highlight some of the common similarities between the Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR.
- The Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR are both EPA WaterSense certified. This means that they will save you water.
- Both smart sprinkler controllers are able to use local weather data and forecasts in order to delay or change the watering schedule.
Things To Consider When Choosing Between Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR
Before buying a smart outdoor sprinkler controller, there are a few things that you need to consider. Below are some of those factors in detail.
- Price- consider how much money you are willing to spend on a smart sprinkler controller. If you purchase something that is beyond your budget, you may end up regretting it.
- Features- research on which features you want your sprinkler controller to have and then purchase one that has these features.
- Design- choose a sprinkler that has a design which you like because once you have bout something you cannot return it.
- Durability- when choosing a smart sprinkler controller make sure you choose one that is durable. You can do a bit of research to see what others are saying about that particular model.
Rachio 3 Vs B-hyve XR: Verdict
Deciding on which smart sprinkler controller to purchase between the Rachio 3 and the B-hyve XR can be very frustrating, but at the end of the day you will need to make a decision. If you choose to purchase the Rachio 3, it means you will have to sacrifice a lot of money especially considering you will have to purchase the waterproof gear separately. However, the Rachio 3 comes with some benefits for example you get a lot of sophisticated features that are not present on the B-hyve XR.
If you decide to purchase the B-hyve XR it means that you will save a lot of money and also get complimentary waterproof gear when you purchase the device. You will also be able to enjoy some features found on the Rachio XR but at a cheaper price.
Whichever decision you choose to make, you will definitely sense the advantages or disadvantages of tat specific smart sprinkler controller. However, we would definitely advice that you consider purchasing the Rachio 3. This is because it has so many sophisticated features which would definitely benefit you in the future. It also has a mobile application which is straight forward and easy to use. If you purchase the Rachio 3, you will definitely be getting value for your money.
Is Rachio 3 Worth It?
Yes, the Rachio 3 is definitely worth it. Although it might seem more expensive than the B-hyve XR it is actually worth it. It has so many sophisticated features and is compatible with different voice command applications. The Rachio 3 mobile application is also very easy to use so you will definitely be getting value for your money.
How Many Zones Can A Rachio 3 Handle?
The Rachio 3 can handle up to 16 zones. This is one of the reasons why many people prefer purchasing the Rachio 3 over other models.
What Happens If Rachio Is Offline?
If Rachio is offline for a long period of time, your sprinklers might stop working until you have some sort of internet connection.
Can I Install Rachio Myself?
Yes you can definitely install Rachio by yourself. Rachio devices come with a manual so you can always follow the simple steps and install the device. Most users complete the process in about 30 minutes.
Is Rachio Accurate?
Yes, Rachio is usually accurate. It relies on the weather forecast in your particular area. It also has remote sensors which can detect when it is about to rain. For your Rachio to function, always ensure that you are connected to the internet.
Is It Worth Upgrading To Rachio 3?
Yes it is definitely worth it to upgrade to the Rachio 3. This is mainly because it has so many sophisticated features that you would never find on other smart sprinkler controllers.
The Rachio 3 and B-hyve XR are both great smart sprinkler controllers. We hope this article has helped you in deciding which device is worth having in your house. It is important to remember that you should always choose a smart sprinkler controller that is within your budget and that will most definitely benefit you in the future.